Senior Software Engineer (Location: Flexible)
For nearly 50 years, NatureServe has been the authoritative source for biodiversity data throughout the Western Hemisphere. With an international network of nearly 100 natural heritage programs across the United States, Canada, and Latin America, NatureServe is the leading source of information on rare and endangered species and threatened ecosystems. To protect threatened biodiversity, NatureServe works with over 1,000 conservation scientists to collect, aggregate, and standardize biodiversity statistics, providing comprehensive data to the public for strategic conservation efforts. NatureServe and its network programs develop and manage the most comprehensive data for over 100,000 species and ecosystems, answering fundamental questions about what exists, where it is found, and how it is doing.
NatureServe offers full-time employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- 401K savings and retirement plan with matching contributions
- Health and dental insurance
- Short and long-term disability
- Annual and sick leave
- Life insurance
- Telework/Flex work
NatureServe is seeking to hire a senior software engineer to design and implement map-centric web applications using React JS and Esri ArcGIS technologies. Candidates with Geographic Information Systems (GIS), geospatial, Drupal, or PHP development experience are strongly preferred, though we will consider all individuals that can demonstrate their ability to learn quickly.
NatureServe's software engineers work on a mixture of new and existing projects. Some of the applications we build allow scientists to collect and manage information about rare and endangered species and ecosystems. Other applications provide conservation professionals and planners with tools that analyze this data and help guide their conservation decisions. Finally, we build interactive web applications that present this information to educate the public on the natural world that surrounds them, allowing them to explore the challenges that face it and discover the ways in which they can help. Most of these projects have a very heavy focus on geospatial data and are increasingly being built using AWS and Azure cloud technologies. If you are not yet an expert on interactive, web-based mapping applications, this position should provide opportunities to learn!
NatureServe is not a traditional software development company. We are a non-profit primarily comprised of scientists and conservation professionals. You will join a small group of talented, dedicated software engineers that work alongside our scientists as members of agile teams. All our software engineers are fully engaged in the complete life cycle of software development, from requirements and design through implementation and testing. Visit ourto explore some of NatureServe’s conservation data and tools.
- Work within an agile team environment to develop highly interactive web applications built using Java, Drupal/PHP, ArcGIS, and React.
- Be fully involved in the complete life cycle of software development, from requirements gathering through design, implementation, and testing.
The essential job functions listed above are not meant to be all-inclusive and may be subject to change at any time.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Familiarity with widely used Java libraries and frameworks including Spring, Jersey, Jackson, and Hibernate
- Willingness and ability to work across all aspects of a web development stack
- Flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances and learn new technologies as needed
- Proficiency with source control systems, especially Git
- Proficiency with issue tracking software, e.g. Jira
The following skills are not requirements but would be very beneficial.
- Experience with developing web applications with responsive behaviors
- Experience with one or more widely used libraries and frameworks such as React, jQuery, AngularJS, Knockout, Dojo, etc.
- Demonstrable visual design skills, especially involving user-system interactions
- Experience with ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online Experience Builder
- Experience with continuous integration and deployment using microservices and Docker containers
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Azure cloud computing platforms
- Basic SQL skills and relational database experience
- Python development experience, especially using arcpy or pandas
- PHP development experience
- Experience with CMS administration or development, especially Drupal
- Basic experience with web server administration capabilities, e.g. Apache Tomcat, Apache HTTP Server
We consider candidates from any educational background. We value your ability to solve problems over your formal education credentials.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to remain in a stationary position.
- Ability to effectively communicate in technical meetings with multiple participants.
- Ability to efficiently use a computer for the majority of the work day
NATURESERVE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
An equal opportunity, reasonable accommodations employer, NatureServe complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you need accommodation in the employment process or this document in an alternative format, please contact our office at 703-908-1840 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We stand in support of equality for and advancement of all people based on their qualifications and actions alone without regard to color, gender, age, religion, national origin, or disability.