Communications Coordinator, California Green New Deal Coalition, Full Time, Temporary (12-18 months)
The California Green New Deal Coalition is a coalition of over 25 organizations that represent communities of color, urban and rural neighborhoods, workers, immigrants, environmentalists, and people across California standing up for racial justice, good jobs, and a regenerative environment that works for all of us. digital organizing strategies
Our purpose is to build collaborative political power for a CA Green New Deal that reflects the needs, visions, and voices of frontline communities. We identify and prioritize community-based solutions that address the climate crisis, build community power, and advocate for those solutions using our superpower—telling stories about our intersecting issues that change hearts and minds. The California Green New Deal Coalition acts in solidarity with frontline communities all over the world.
We are fighting for a Green New Deal for California that supports the communities hit hardest by the COVID-19 pandemic and invests in a future where we all can thrive. In 2021-2022, we will expand our coalition and support the passage of key pieces of legislation through community power building bolstered by stories that change hearts and minds.
Position Summary and Job Responsibilities
The Communications Coordinator will work closely with the steering committee and lead the communications and digital organizing working group to develop and implement a statewide communications strategy geared toward building support for the California Green New Deal legislative package among social and climate justice activists, advocates, and people living in frontline communities.
Depending on strategy, responsibilities may include:
- Writing and pitching op-eds and media stories.
- Developing digital toolkits and coordinating distribution to reach target audiences.
- Working with artists and cultural workers to produce stories.
- Creating infrastructure and content to support building geographically-based groups of activists and supporters who will take action online and in-person in support of a Green New Deal.
This position is a full-time temporary position 40 hours / week for 12-18 months with full benefits. Start date will be between February 16, 2021 and March 1, 2021. The position will be housed at Asian Pacific Environmental Network and supervised by APEN’s Communications Director. Applicants must live in California.
- 5+ years experience designing and implementing communications strategy for regional or statewide campaigns.
- Excellent writing and storytelling skills.
- Highly organized, self-motivated, problem-solver.
- Skills and knowledge base to take advantage of opportunities and pivot quickly as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to bring people together across sectors and organizations to advance shared goals.
- Working knowledge of media databases, CRMs, websites, and basic graphic design.
- Commitment to movement building.
- Cross-sector and intersectional organizing experience.
- Experience working with designers, videographers, and/or other artists to create emotionally compelling content.
- Familiarity with digital organizing best practices across platforms including social, email, web, and/or SMS.
- Competency advancing earned media strategies to shift narratives.
- Familiarity with California political and legislative dynamics.
Salary and Benefits
The salary scale for this position is $67,000 – $75,000 / year DOE. APEN offers a generous benefits package that includes: health, dental and vision (domestic partner coverage available); vacation and sick time. APEN is a family-friendly employer.
Accessibility and Working Conditions
This position will require applicants to work on a computer daily for long periods of time, and collaborate with colleagues and coalition partners through Zoom, email, and other digital platforms. APEN will provide a computer and other equipment needed to fulfill basic job responsibilities.
This position will be remote until local and state health officials deem it safe for people to return to offices and gather in-person. This position will follow APEN’s COVID safety policies and protocols regarding in-person work.
This position may occasionally require work during irregular hours including on nights or weekends, and will require occasional travel within California.
This position will not require applicants to carry or move heavy equipment, regularly ascend or descend a ladder, or stand or sit for long periods of time. This position will not require working in hazardous or unusual conditions such as outdoors in inclement weather.
Please submit a writing sample, resume, and cover letter toby January 15, 2021.
APEN is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, gay, lesbian, transgender and gender nonconforming persons are encouraged to apply.