Full-stack Software Engineer 🔥
Hi! I’m Justin, AidKit’s Engineering Manager. We are looking for a software engineer to join our team who is passionate about building high-leverage solutions to drive impact at scale. At AidKit, we are driven by our company values - being accountable to the people we serve.
AidKit is a social impact startup born from the pandemic that aims to 100x the leverage of organizations helping people in need. Today, we run the largest guaranteed income programs in the country. Looking forward, we aim to be the platform for delivering assistance to anyone, anywhere, efficiently, at scale, and with dignity.
We believe that the best technology shouldn’t be limited to big tech and to that end we’re committed to responsibly adapting the latest advances in abstraction and machine learning to enhance the leverage of those around us.
We got our start as volunteers delivering relief to undocumented workers left behind amidst the early days of COVID and have since grown into a fully bootstrapped platform that has disbursed over $190 million directly into hard to reach communities.
We are a team of almost 30 and we’re profitable — our team is growing as we expand our footprint in building sophisticated technology for the benefit of the social impact sector.
About the Role
As a salaried software engineer, your role will consist of building our no/low-code platform that allows organizations doing good to build a bespoke experience without bespoke software.
Our stack looks roughly as follows:
- Front-end: Typescript, React & Tailwind
- Back-end: Typescript, Postgres and DynamoDB (with some Python we’re slowly deprecating).
- Infrastructure: Pulumi as Code deployments on AWS.
Your responsibilities would include:
- Going from vague problems to fully fleshed out solutions across multiple layers of the stack that addresses real business needs.
- Writing code to expand our platform that is clean, easy to extend, secure, and documented.
- Write and review design documents for upcoming product and technical components and features.
- Participate in code reviews.
- Work with the engineering team to help plan our technical and product roadmaps.
- Handle prioritization and sizing for upcoming technical work.
- Experience in building full-stack web applications (Typescript preferred, but not a requirement)
- Willing to jump in and do right by those we serve, whatever it takes.
- Eager to tackle complex problems and comfortable working with ambiguity.
- Not required but bonus points if have done any of the following:Experience designing green-field projects from the ground up and owning major architectural decisions. Why? We believe that we can broaden our impact by building newer, better solutions to old problems and that requires thinking from first principles.
- Experience designing infrastructure that is robust to failure and minimizes mean time to recovery.Why? We serve populations that are in dire need and often low on tech-literacy. If they have issues, they’re unlikely to come back and try again.
- Experience managing large scale web infrastructure serving hundreds of thousands of users (or more!).Why? We run the largest guaranteed income pilots in the country, scaling from 1 to 1000 requests per second over the course of minutes.
- You care deeply about the mission of direct aid and supporting anyone who needs help, no matter where they come from.
About the Hiring Manager
The hiring manager for this role is. Quick bio for him: before joining AidKit, he led multiple teams at a fintech startup and oversaw key initiatives for their series B funding round. Previously, he joined a full-stack consulting shop as the 3rd full-time employee and led their expansion to 10 employees. Today, he is very grateful to have the opportunity to serve the social impact sector and find ways for technology to drive positive impact at scale.
You will speak with Justin and discuss your background, what’s important to you in your next role and any questions you might have about the role.
We’ll send you a small full-stack Typescript app to check out locally and get familiar with (if you haven’t done full-stack work recently). We’ll then jump on a zoom call and incrementally add features until we exhaust 60 minutes. You’re welcome to use Google / StackOverflow / ChatGPT as you would normally while working.
You’ll pick a project that you’ve had some-level of responsibility for in the past and walk us through the “story” behind that project. What motivated it? What were the major engineering decisions and how were they decided? What was the resulting architecture? What would you do the same or differently, knowing what you know now? We recommend either preparing or being ready to draw an architecture diagram on the call.
As part of our hiring policies we ask you to provide a reference who we can contact who can speak towards your work. Ideally, this is a past manager who we can speak to to understand how to best set you up for success at AidKit.
Compensation and Location
For this full-time position, you can work from anywhere in the United States. The salary for this role is $140,000. We also provide equity which varies by position and experience and a comprehensive benefits package including 401K matching, health benefits, flexible schedule, and unlimited paid time off.