Content Writer 🔥
About the Waterfront Alliance
The Waterfront Alliance is a civic organization that brings together a diverse coalition of more than 1,100 Alliance Partners with ties to the New York–New Jersey waterways. Founded in 2007, our mission is to build, transform, revitalize, and protect accessible waterfronts for all communities. Key programs and advocacy areas include climate resilience, public access to the waterfront, the working waterfront, and climate education.
Reporting to the director of communications and collaborating closely with the president and CEO, the content writer is responsible for drafting op-ed’s, research papers and reports, journalistic articles, website content, and more for a range of current and prospective programs and project areas. They will collaborate with the director of programs and other staff as required to develop compelling and high-quality narratives.
This is a remote contract position and pays $40-60/hour depending on experience for up to 20 hours/month (hours may vary month to month depending on funding opportunities and deadlines).
- Write engaging and informative op-eds and media pitches on environmental and climate resilience topics
- Research stories and write articles for WaterWire, including journalistic stories, interviews with external partners, and current news topics
- Use annual program work plans, program data and testimonials, and other materials to synthesize and craft compelling copy and persuasively communicate the organization's mission and programs.
- Follow organizational style guide and branded templates when finalizing proposals, as well as pay attention to specific formatting requirements of each foundation or donor.
- Contribute to other communications initiatives as needed, including website copy, flyer copy, report copyediting, newsletter copyediting, etc.
- Collaborate with president and CEO on media material, as required.
- Provide input to director of communications and president and CEO about trending news topics and story ideas for WaterWire and op-eds.
Required Skills and Attributes
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Persuasive, clear, and compelling writing style with meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience writing op-eds and pitches for media
- Experience researching and writing for environmental and technical audiences
- Deadline driven and highly organized
- Excellent computer skills, including entire Microsoft Suite
- Passion for Waterfront Alliance’s mission