Kraken is the technology tentacle of the Octopus Energy Group.
All technology is written and maintained by a multi-discipline engineering team of around 500 people globally. Our engineers work in ‘super teams’ which are focused on key areas of our platform as well as other innovative products. This also includes server-side, client-side and mobile engineers working closely with UX experts, copywriters and designers.
Teams are empowered to choose a way of working that works for them, often opting for a Kanban-like approach. Notion and Asana are then used to specify and manage work; Github, CircleCI and Terraform Enterprise as part of an immutable-infrastructure, continuous delivery pipeline; and Datadog, Sentry and Cloudwatch to measure performance and monitor production.
We’re Charging Kraken to power utilities beyond energy (think water, broadband,..) and have created a new business Kraken Utilities. We are building this team from scratch and are looking for experienced engineers to help us build and scale the team, implement a good culture and work on some really exciting tech challenges.
As an early tech hire into this team you will have a huge opportunity to impact decision making and growing into leadership roles as the business scales.
Together with the rest of the team, you will bring the same revolutionary customer experience, operational excellence and speed of innovation that Kraken is powering across energy retailers to other sectors.
Some of our coding conventions are open-source .
Kraken is a great place to learn, work with some talented engineers and level-up your skills.
On the server-side, we mainly use Python. Most of our websites are powered by Django, Django-REST-framework and GraphQL (Graphene).
We use AWS heavily as part of a continuous deployment pipeline. See, for example, Django, ELB health checks and continuous delivery.
Client-side, we use React, htmx and SASS; our mobile apps are built using native code or React Native.
What you'll do
- Take ownership of reporting, analysis and stakeholder engagement
- Understand problems and requirements of the business and come up with pragmatic data solutions, such as data pipelines, visualisation tools and etc.
- Act as the subject matter expert on data structure and definitions
- Be comfortable working with some ambiguity: we are busy scaling and as such specific responsibilities, projects and focus will evolve over time
What you'll need
- 2+ years of hands-on experience building BI tools and using SQL & python to extract business insights from large data datasets
- Excellent stakeholder management and communication skills, able to explain complex technical topics to a diverse range of stakeholders
- Experience in data modelling and building ETL pipelines
- Strong business intelligence and analytical mindset
- Understanding of cloud technologies, preferably with AWS
Plus experience with the following is nice to have:
- Experience using dbt
- Basic understanding of machine learning and A/B testing
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
This team will require candidates to work on a hybrid remote basis, coming into our office in Oxford Circus 1-2 days a week. You do also need to be able to work in the UK.
We're very excited to be growing our team. We're looking for skills and experience to help shape and define the future of not only our team, but the wider business at a global scale. If you're reading this and grinning, please apply! There are huge challenges to tackle, and we need amazing people who are keen to get stuck in.
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.
No salary data published by company so we estimated salary based on similar jobs related to React, GraphQL, Python, Cloud and Mobile jobs that are similar:
$50,000 — $110,000/year