Social Media Coordinator
BLACK AIDS INSTITUTE
Social Media Coordinator
The Black AIDS Institute seeks
a full-time, highly skilled Social Media Coordinator to coordinate our social
voice by publishing content across social media outlets using print,
traditional, and online media platforms.
This position will assist in
the development of public relations strategies that connect to BAI’s broader
communications plan. The Social Media Coordinator will grow BAI’s audience and
expand its influence by monitoring social media presence, identifying opportunities
to join conversations, establishing connections with key media influencers, and
driving engagement with partners and people living with HIV/AIDS.
The ideal candidate thrives on
learning emerging new technologies and maintains a high level of proficiency in
using existing social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram,
Constant Contact, YouTube, Vimeo, LinkedIn, Blogger, WordPress, and web design
tools such as Joomla; possesses superb writing, editing, and blog publishing
skills, impeccable organizational skills, and pays strong attention to
detail. The Social Media Coordinator
will develop, implement, optimize and report results on BAI’s print and online
activity and engage in community outreach activities to raise BAI’s visibility.
people, LGBTQ+ people, and people living with HIV or on PrEP are highly
encouraged to apply.
Job Location: Charlotte, North Carolina or Southern
Reporting Relationship: Director of Communications
Supervisory Relationship: none
to $55,000 depending upon qualifications
ORGANIZATION-WIDE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support all functions that attain and maintain
- accreditation and compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Support and facilitate positive interaction with
- others by exhibiting:
- Individual maturity - Respect for others
- A team-centered approach - Maintenance
of confidential information
- Communicate appropriate information to other
- departments in a timely and effective manner.
- Participate in appropriate professional
- development programs to attain and maintain competency.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Proofread and uploaded the Black AIDS Weekly.
- Write, coordinate, and make recommendations for
- subject matter-appropriate press releases.
- Coordinate blog posts, videos, podcasts, etc. to
- promote the Institute and its mission.
- Design, write, update, and edit the Institute’s daily
- Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram blog posts.
- Provide weekly content to NNPA publications,
- Black Voices, the Loop, the Root, and
- Create monthly reports on Institute press
- Scan media and convert breaking news stories into
- AIDS-related pieces.
- Maintain video library to be loaded on the
- Institute’s website twice weekly.
- Track Institute-related news clippings using
- BurrellesLuce and other tools.
- Update BlackAIDS.org and the Institute’s social
- media sites’ online content as necessary.
- Use existing online and public relations and
- social tools and platforms to increase awareness, visibility and audience
- engagement; advance exposure of the Institute to a broader online audience.
- Coordinate the online community (i.e., interact
- with HIV/AIDS community members; find relevant content; increase
- Maintain an editorial calendar and posting
- schedule for multiple sites.
- Participate in and report on community outreach
- activities as requested.
- Promote the Institute’s programs and initiatives using
- public relations and social media technology.
- Stay current on social media tools to ensure the
- Institute is an early adopter of new technologies. Contribute ideas and best practices for
- keeping online communications current.
- Implement targeted, innovative media solutions
- consistent with the Institute’s communications strategies and goals.
- Assist in evaluating and revising online
- marketing and engagement strategies for optimization, including tools
- presently being used and emerging technologies.
- Build and maintain the Institute’s email address
- Other duties as assigned.
- Meet regularly with the CEO (and in his absence,
- the COO) for supervision.
- Interface and coordinate with the Editor of the Black AIDS Weekly, the Institute’s
- Chief Graphics Designer, and a web consultant.
- Participate in agency training programs, as
- Maintain an ongoing professional development
POSITION EXPERIENCE AND
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to write content and copy in a variety of
- styles and tones.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Precision and accuracy in execution of social media functions.
- Strong knowledge of online media planning.
- Experience coordinating public relations and social
- media activities in a business context, including blogging publishing, and
- social media outreach campaigns.
- Experience in photo editing and basic graphic
- Experience in developing and
- delivering online content and familiarity with development and execution
- of social media outreach campaigns.
- Outstanding creative talent coupled with strong
- conceptual and strategic skills.
- Familiarity with web analytics to measure and
- report campaign effectiveness.
- Knowledge and ease working with CMS platforms.
- Experience in blog publishing.
- Experience copy editing self-driven work product.
- Experience editing photos for publication and
- basic graphic design using Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
- High level expertise in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and
- High level experience with HTML.
- Experience working with a variety of social media platforms and tools.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects in various stages of
- Knowledge of LGBT, MSM and
- HIV/AIDS-related community issues or an equivalent combination of
- education and relevant experience.
- Organized, discreet, and detail oriented.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and
- ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Must be a versatile learner, adapting quickly
- when facing new problems, and open to change.
- Must possess initiative and commitment to
- Basic digital photography experience.
- Must possess, or quickly develop, a solid
- understanding of the Black community and its challenges around HIV/AIDS.
in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Advertising or Marketing
(academic minor or concentration in English a plus) and two years of paid or
intern experience working in social media and web content development.
AND SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to read, write and converse in English.
- Ability to communicate with staff, stakeholders
- and vendors.
- Ability to remain calm and composed under stress.
- Bending, lifting 20 pound boxes and packages,
- grasping, fine hand/eye coordination, pushing/pulling, and/or prolonged
- Ability to respond to telephones and other auditory
- Quantitative/mathematical ability (addition,
- subtraction, multiplication, division, standard measurements).
- Ability to evaluate/interpret information and
- make independent judgments and decisions.
cover letter, resume, and writing sample. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Screening will begin immediately
and will continue until the position is filled.
No phone calls or emails.
the Black AIDS Institute
Black AIDS Institute (BAI) is the only national HIV/AIDS think tank focused
exclusively on Black people. The Institute's mission is to stop the AIDS epidemic
in Black communities by engaging and mobilizing Black institutions and
individuals in efforts to confront HIV. The Institute interprets public and
private sector HIV policies, conducts trainings, offers technical assistance,
disseminates information and provides advocacy mobilization from a uniquely and
unapologetically Black point of view.
Our motto describes a commitment to
self-preservation: “OUR PEOPLE, OUR PROBLEM, OUR SOLUTION.”
Black AIDS Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
more information about the Black AIDS Institute visit.