Donor Relations Associate 🔥
Salary: Our salaries are competitive with peer organizations like private foundations, academic institutions/think tanks, and the World Bank. We adjust the salaries of remote employees using a tier system. Our pay for this role:
- Tier 1 (San Francisco Bay Area or New York City): $98,000
- Tier 2 (all other US locations): $90,600
Benefits: GiveWell provides health, vision, and dental insurance for staff and their families. Read more about the benefits we offer.
Location: You will be joining a hybrid team that works remotely throughout the United States. GiveWell has an office in Oakland, California, that we welcome, but do not require, you to work from. Part of our staff also works from a coworking space in New York City. As a general rule, we request that employees work in locations that are within three hours of the Pacific Time Zone.
Flexibility: We support and encourage flexible working, including flexible hours, working remotely, and working from the office when you choose. The majority of our staff, including senior management, work flexibly in one way or another.
Visa: Please note that for this position, we're currently not accepting applications from candidates who need authorization to work in the US.
Timeline: We're reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
As a Donor Relations Associate at GiveWell, you will play a critical role in supporting our outreach team to increase the funds we can direct to our recommended charities. Our donor base is expanding rapidly, and we need to keep pace with this tremendous growth. This is a great opportunity to join a high-impact nonprofit and, by helping us scale our donation operations and improve the donor experience, make a real difference with your career.
You will report to the manager of the Development Operations team and be responsible for a variety of tasks that directly support our goal of moving more money to effective programs. If you like to help and inform people, and if you derive satisfaction from stamping out obstacles, this job could be for you!
We expect that you may work on a variety of projects, to be determined in conversation with your manager based on your skills and experience. Responsibilities may include:
- Processing donations and updating donor records. This may include updating biographical information, managing recurring donations, processing incoming donations, updating designation preferences, and sending gift acknowledgments to donors.
- Responding to inbound inquiries via email and voicemail. Inquiries vary but are often questions about our research, donation logistics, and how organizations can apply for support from GiveWell.
- Optimizing our database by scrubbing our data, thus improving our insights about donor behavior and helping us make better strategic decisions.
- Drafting written communication for social media, email campaigns, and other content needs.
- Conducting donor research and compiling briefings for fundraising meetings.
- Administering project management and forecasting systems to ensure all data is accurate and up-to-date in Salesforce.
- Assisting in compiling reports on the development team’s progress against activity and financial goals.
- Providing administrative support to development team members, including note-taking and scheduling.
Note: Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. Here’s a secret: there's no such thing as a "perfect" candidate. GiveWell is looking for exceptional people who want to help create a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this role would make you excited to go to work every day.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not have all of the traits listed below. To be successful, we expect that you possess most of the following characteristics:
- You are detail-oriented and precise.
- You have excellent written communication skills.
- You are highly organized, with the ability to meet deadlines and prioritize your workload across multiple areas of responsibility.
- You communicate clearly and productively with your colleagues, and possess a willingness to share and receive feedback.
- You always maintain a high level of tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
Other desirable skills, experience, or characteristics:
- You have relevant fundraising and/or project management experience.
- You are passionate about helping improve global health and alleviate global poverty as much as possible.
- You value honesty and transparency. GiveWell is committed to sharing openly about our shortcomings and strengths, as well as those of our recommended programs.
- You are excited to work on a growing team. GiveWell’s outreach team is small. We expect team members to be nimble and responsive to new opportunities.
Apply here:. We only accept applications through our website. We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact with any questions.
GiveWell is motivated by the simple question: How can we do as much good as possible?
In our efforts to answer this question, we search for and recommend outstanding philanthropic giving opportunities. We currently focus on global health and poverty alleviation programs in the lowest-income parts of the world because that iswe can have the greatest impact, according to our criteria.
Our primary impact is achieved by directing funding to our recommended charities. We rigorously vet and recommend a short list ofthat of being evidence-backed, cost-effective, transparent, and in need of more funding. Our work on life-saving programs, including , , , and .
We also direct funding tooutside of our top charities that are consistent with our mission to maximize global well-being.
Based on our recommendations, donors have given more than $1 billion to our recommended programs since our founding in 2007. In 2021 alone, we directed more than $525 million.
Our Operations team supports critical organizational functions and is integral to the success of our mission to direct hundreds of millions of dollars to the best giving opportunities we can find.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and to making employment decisions based on merit and value. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing Equal Employment Opportunities, as well as all laws related to terms and conditions of employment. We desire to maintain a work environment free of harassment or discrimination due to sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, citizenship, physical or mental disability, marital status, familial status, ethnicity, ancestry, status as a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault, age, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.