Events & Project Manager 🔥
Looking to find a real purpose in your career again? At GVI, our teams bring a range of specialised skills together for a common goal: supporting a more sustainable future.
GVI is an international multi-award-winning social enterprise. We offer conservation and community development programs in 13 countries, all aligned to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, and led by our teams and experts from the communities we operate in.
Working at GVI is fast-paced and fun. We value passion, authenticity and innovation, and we treat each other with respect. But we can do better than words to show you who we are! To see what it's really like to work for GVI, click here.
About the role
If you are exceptionally organized, love to “get stuff done”, appreciate attention to detail, enjoy relationship building, and are looking for a role that invites you to be a part of something bigger then look no further.
We’re looking for a mid-weight events manager to develop, execute and manage our events calendar, consisting of both on-the-ground and virtual events taking place globally. The Events Manager will work in the Outreach Team (within the Marketing department) and report to the Global Outreach manager. They will work across our GVI and Bushwise brands. The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring GVI is present at as many events as possible, (at school and university events as well as other relevant expos and fairs.) They will work closely with the ambassador coordinator to find suitable candidates to represent GVI and attend these events on our behalf, as well as manage all the relevant logistics (e.g. shipping of promotional materials.) The successful candidate will also be responsible for organising and managing all GVI and Bushwise Open Days.
This person will also need to build great relationships with schools and universities globally, and ensure that we are taking advantage of every opportunity to increase brand awareness (and subsequently bookings) at these institutions. As such, experience within the US/UK academic environment would be a huge bonus.
To thrive in the Outreach Team, you need to be a team player who enjoys a fun but fast-paced environment. Integrity, kindness, humility and a sense of humour are all key requirements. And a solutions-driven mindset and attitude is an absolute must.
Role and responsibilities:
- Ensure we successfully attend as many events as possible
- Find new events for us to attend
- Organise all event relevant logistics required
- Organise and manage GVI and Bushwise Open Days (virtual and in person)
- Build relationships with key stakeholders within the academic sector
- Ensure exposure for GVI is optimised at as many key academic institutions as possible
If you are ambitious, purpose-driven, and you have a great sense of humour, we want to meet you. As an organisation, we know that welcoming a broad range of people with unique identities makes us a more powerful workforce and we are committed to evolving our diversity, equity and inclusion practice.
Professional skills and experience:
- 4+ years of relevant experience (events or something similar)
- Highly organised
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent people skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to think strategically and identify opportunities
- Proactive, always thinking 1, 2 or 3 steps ahead
- Good at presenting/public speaking
- Passion for networking
- Great work ethic
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Solutions-driven mindset and attitude
- Process-driven but agile
- Experience organising virtual events and webinars would be highly advantageous
- Experience working within the academic sector
- Experience living in the US/UK
- An interest in volunteering/traveling/sustainable development
We’re not interested in empty perks like having a coffee culture. We do have coffee – if you join our central team in Cape Town, you could find yourself roped into coffee and snack challenges if you visit the office, but you could just as easily be taking your morning coffee at Roots cafe, high in the mountains of northern Thailand if you work on a base. Here’s what our global team enjoys:
- Social fund
- Training fund
- Half days on the first Friday of each quarter
- Collaborative, flexible culture
- Transparency – hear directly from the CEO consistently
- We laugh a lot, genuinely care about and support each other, and do the occasional dress-up
You can find out more about the type of work GVI does and who we are as an organisation here.
Please follow the link and send your CV, Portfolio, LinkedIn link along with a cover letter stating why you feel you would be best suited to this position at GVI.
Please note: We will do our utmost to respond to all applicants, however, given the large volume of applications we receive, this isn't always possible. If you do not hear back from us within three-four weeks, please take it that on this occasion your application was unsuccessful.