Gaming Features: Editor
Note: This is a freelance, remote position. We are open to both full-time and part-time applicants.
Screen Rant is the #1 independent entertainment website on the web and publishes up-to-the-minute news on blockbuster movies, TV, video games, and comic books. Our editorial team is looking for an experienced editor to oversee Gaming Features content under the leadership of the Gaming Lead Editor. The selected candidate will have tremendous career growth opportunity within the organization. Please note that this role does not involve video editing, animation, or script editing.
Edit and publish a minimum of 10 gaming articles daily on the Gaming Features team
- Combination of editing/writing (mostly editing)
Participate in writer development and general writer management
- Oversee and facilitate writer communication in Slack/Asana
- Send feedback to writers according to Screen Rant's standards (as per our writing guides)
- Work with new writers to develop their skills and help them adapt to Screen Rant's standards
- Work with existing writers to develop those suitable for internal development (staff writing, self-publishing, editing)
- Develop content plans
- Target evergreen topics
- Come prepared with notes and analyses
- Approve sniping SEO/angles
- Identify evergreen articles to update
- Relevant experience in senior writing and editing roles (digital publications, entertainment content)
- Broad working knowledge of games and the gaming industry in general (expert-level knowledge of AAA games is essential)
- Quick learner with strong sense of urgency
- Excellent command of the English language
- Ability to write articles free of typos and grammatical errors
- Must be able to work one weekend day (Saturday or Sunday)
Applicants with experience in the following areas will be given favorable consideration:
- Image editing
- Analytics (GA)
- Freelance writer management
- Proven track record of growing a team, expanding coverage, and driving traffic
What Screen Rant has to offer:
- Perks atypical of a freelance role (guaranteed hours/income and paid time off)
- Incredible opportunities for career growth within a supportive system
- An amazing community of like-minded professionals to nerd-out with on a daily basis
Only applicants who possess the necessary skills and experience will be contacted, and only applications containing a resume and cover letter will be considered. It is essential that you demonstrate your breadth of knowledge of popular game content in your cover letter. You will not be considered for the role if this information is not included. If you would like to write about games but do not have the required experience for this particular role, kindly visit our Gaming Writer job posting and apply there instead. Please note that the next steps in the hiring process involve both a writing evaluation and an interview.
We're looking forward to hearing from you!