Ui/ux Design Lead 🔥
Are you an experienced UI/UX Designer looking to make a difference?
The position: Code the Dream, a growing national non-profit, is seeking an experienced, full-time UI/UX Design Lead to lead the design work of Code the Dream, including building design systems and processes that can be implemented across projects, products, and teams.
About us:creates opportunity that changes lives, builds technology that benefits our communities, and supports the diversity that drives a more just and innovative world.
We are a growing nonprofit organization where people from diverse backgrounds -- including low-income individuals, immigrants and communities of color --- learn to code. After 8 - 12 months of intensive training with Code the Dream’s online curriculum and mentors, new coders have a chance to join CTD Labs, where they gain invaluable real-world experience as full-time software development apprentices.
In our CTD Labs apprenticeship program, experienced developers work alongside student apprentices to produce high quality work for our partners that also offers real experience that will help the apprentices launch life-changing careers.
CTD Labs works with a wide range of companies, nonprofit and government partners, and we are very proud of the broad range of projects that come through CTD Labs every year. Examples of recent or current projects include:
- An app that employs evidence-based methods for assisting young children with special needs to learn to read.
- An app for migrant farmworkers -- who are often particularly vulnerable because they are forced to move frequently and live in substandard housing -- to easily locate nearby health, education and legal resources.
- A wide range of technologies for partner companies ranging from small start-ups to established tech companies interested in building more diverse communities.
In this position, you would serve as the lead UI/UX designer, building design processes and collaborating with developers on multiple product teams to help create web based products with good user experiences. Your daily work will include collaborating with both experienced staff developers and student apprentice developers and designers. Your main focuses will include:
- Hands-on design work: Collaborate with senior developers and clients to gather information to understand business processes, user needs, and design requirements; produce UX design solutions through wireframes, visual and graphic designs, flow diagrams, storyboards, site maps, and prototypes; and design graphic UI elements, including menus, tabs, and widgets, icons, infographics, images, insketches and tables. (~ 40%)
- Design systems and processes: Help design, iterate, and manage Code the Dream Labs project design processes that can be implemented across projects, products, and teams. (~ 40%)
- Everything else that goes into our unique nonprofit community and software development shop, from mentoring a diverse range of junior and/or apprentice developers and designers, providing assistance to project teams to optimize UX, design, and QA processes, to joining in CTD karaoke parties (definitely not required!) (~ 20%)
These bullets are estimates to give you a rough idea, and there's room for flexibility depending on individual strengths and interests.
Skills and Experience
- 3+ years experience in UI/UX design or other related roles.
- Portfolio of design projects including web and mobile designs.
- Up-to-date knowledge of design software, such as Figma, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Experience creating responsive designs and layouts.
- Ability to communicate related concepts to a variety of audiences.
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Complex problem solving.
- Creativity and brainstorming.
- Experience with HTML/ CSS.
- Experience designing with accessibility standards.
It would be great if you also had… (No, we don’t expect you’ll have all / most of these!)
- Comfort with version control (Github).
- Teaching experience or an affinity for mentoring others, whether as a UI/UX Designer or otherwise.
Additionally, our successful candidate is:
- Passionate about social justice and equal opportunity, and that technology can and should help us accomplish both.
- Comfortable (and enjoys!) working with people of many, diverse backgrounds.
- Self-motivated and likes setting and accomplishing ambitious goals.
- A problem solver who is excited by and committed to continuous improvement.
Code the Dream is an equal-opportunity employer. Candidates of color, women, immigrants and those from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
If you are excited about this opportunity and feel you can do the job but you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications, consider applying anyway. We’d love to hear from you!
Location: Fully remote, headquartered in Durham, NC at American Underground (a Google Tech Hub)