Writer / Copywriter 🔥
About Malaika: Located in Kalebuka, DRC, Malaika’s mission is to empower Congolese girls and their communities through education and health programs. Founded in 2007 by Congolese-Cypriot model and philanthropist Noella Coursaris Musunka, Malaika began as a small school for girls and has grown into a fully-functioning ecosystem that consists of a free, accredited school that provides a comprehensive education to 400 girls, a community center that offers a range of programs, including education and vocational training, to 5,000 youth and adults, a clean water program with 25 wells that services over 35,000 people each year and a sustainable agricultural program that provides two nutritious meals each day to students and staff. Malaika’s community-driven approach serves as a model that can be replicated on a global scale in communities around the world. Malaika has been able to accomplish all this as a small non-profit with a budget, in 2022, of $800,000
Position Summary: Reporting to the outreach and communications manager, the copywriter will assist with creating copy for articles, website, interviews, and panels for Malaika organization and founder. Excellent opportunity to build writing portfolio.
- Write articles, interviews, blogs and other copy
- Assist outreach and communications director with other material
- Occasionally proofread other writers’ work
- Other related duties as needed
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to quickly understand and complete assignments
- A passion for girls’ education, womens’ equality and community empowerment
- Prior experience writing articles, interviews, blogs and/or other copy
- Ability to adapt to Malaika and founder’s style and to various assignment tones / voices
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a tem
- Ability to listen and carry out tasks with a high attention to excellence and detail
- Malaika’s CEO/ Founder is regularly asked to speak at forums, on panels, etc., and also to be featured in written or recorded interviews. Writers work with other staff and with the founder/CEO to craft speaking points or answer interview questions, all while keeping the established style and incorporating Malaika’s mission and achievements.
- Writers always submit pieces to the founder/ CEO to approve and to outreach and communications manager to proofread and approve.
- Pull blog ideas from Malaika’s social media. Write short blogs that highlight Malaika’s work and mission in consistent style
- Submit blog articles to outreach and communications manager or other staff for proofing
- Write occasional blogs
- Assist with any other needed copy or written material
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong handle of grammar and style, and ability to adapt to British English
- Experience with article writing / copywriting
- Ability to adapt and consistently replicate established style /voice
- Efficient with writing time and turnaround
- Ability to write positively about Malaika, regardless of assignment, and creatively incorporate key points
- Ability to understand and alternate between various writing styles, ie more formal assignments and less formal writing
- Efficiently and effectively respond to writing assignments.
- Willingness to ask questions in order to fully understand assignments
- Strong communication skills / notifying assigning staff member of timeline and availability
- Fluency in French a plus