Full Stack Developer 🔥
Please note, this posting will remain open until June 13, 2022, with the first application review taking place on May 9, 2022. Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply prior to that date. We anticipate interviews for this position will be held in five weeks.
Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) is looking to fill the role of Full Stack Developer which works as an essential contributor to SCAG's IT Division. Reporting to the Manager of Application Development & Support, the Full Stack Developer is responsible for designing, developing, testing, and maintaining high-quality software to meet business and customer needs. This position will support and maintain SCAG’s public web sites, as well as other application frontends for internal systems. Application administration and maintenance for assigned applications is also a key function of this role. The Full Stack Developer will work closely with end-users, product owners, project managers, other development teams, and independently, as the technical lead on assigned projects. SCAG’s public website, built on Drupal, will be a primary responsibility. Other applications, including SCAG’s custom built GIS applications (using frameworks like React), MS Dynamics CRM system, Financial Management System, and Intergovernmental Review application, represent other systems for which this role will provide front-end development.
The Application Development and Support team is responsible for many of SCAG's core technology systems and involved in multiple SCAG initiatives. The team develops, manages, tests, supports, maintains, and consults on applications including region shaping metropolitan planning systems, operationally focused finance and support systems, and public facing information sharing systems. Some of the current applications and technologies used include Microsoft Great Plains (GP), WorkPlace, OnBase, Microsoft CRM, custom Inter-Government Review (IGR), custom Finance Management Systems (FMS), custom Active Transportation Database (ATDB), Microsoft Dynamics 365, ESRI ArcGIS, ArcGIS Online, ServiceNow, Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), and Crystal Reports.
As a mission-driven organization, SCAG is committed to attracting and retaining talent who embody SCAG’s values. SCAG's workforce is passionate and committed to innovation that improves the quality of life for all Southern Californians. When you join SCAG, you can expect a culture where collaboration and teamwork is fostered.
SCAG operates as a hybrid organization because we recognize that work can be successfully performed in various locations. Designing a work environment and culture where SCAG’s mission, effectiveness, and collaboration can be more flexibly served demonstrates our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) by supporting work-life balance for our employees, retaining our existing dedicated staff, and increasing access to new talent pools.
As part of our Work@SCAG hybrid approach, employees eligibility in the three work models (office, hybrid, remote) will depend on the department, position, responsibilities, and duties. All work models require employees to work from a location based within the SCAG region.
SCAG’s COVID-19 Prevention Program, which includes our vaccination policy, can be found.
SCAG headquarters is located in the hub of busy downtown Los Angeles, at Figueroa and 7th streets. SCAG has recently relocated to the 900 Wilshire Building, a new, multi-use hotel and office complex that features state of the art architecture and technology. The downtown area has expanded with LA Live, new restaurants, music, sports, shopping, libraries, museums and theaters. SCAG is in a culturally diverse area near Koreatown, Little Tokyo, Chinatown, Olvera Street and Grand Central Market. Southern California boasts near-perfect weather and close proximity to mountains, beaches and deserts, which encourages physical fitness and year-round activities.
For ease of commuting, the LA office is located across the street from the Metro Red Line 7th St. station and is easily accessible by commuter trains and buses serving surrounding areas. Metro's light rail and subway connect downtown LA to Hollywood, Universal City, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Azusa, Long Beach and many vibrant and up-and-coming neighborhoods.
WHO WE ARE:
Founded in 1965, the Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) is a Joint Powers Authority under California state law, established as an association of local governments and agencies that voluntarily convene as a forum to address regional issues. Under federal law, The SCAG region encompasses six counties (Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and Ventura) and 191 cities in an area covering more than 38,000 square miles. The agency develops long-range regional transportation plans including sustainable communities' strategy and growth forecast components, regional transportation improvement programs, regional housing needs allocations and a portion of the South Coast Air Quality management plans. Currently, the Regional Council consists of 86 members.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
To foster innovative regional solutions that improve the lives of Southern Californians through inclusive collaboration, visionary planning, regional advocacy, information sharing, and promoting best practices.
Southern California's Catalyst for a Brighter Future.
SCAG CORE VALUES
- Be Open: Be accessible, candid, collaborative and transparent in the work we do.
- Lead by Example: Commit to integrity and equity in working to meet the diverse needs of all people and communities in our region.
- Make an Impact: In all endeavors, effect positive and sustained outcomes that make our region thrive.
- Be Courageous: Have confidence that taking deliberate, bold and purposeful risks can yield new and valuable benefits.
- Design, develop, and configure data, modules, blocks, menus, themes, and integrations on the Drupal CMS platform.
- Administer and maintain SCAG’s Drupal installation.
- Ensure application patches are regularly tested and installed.
- Configure changes in alignment with current business and technology needs.
- Develop frontend code for various internally and externally facing SCAG web applications.
- Provide User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI) designs.
- Collaborate with stakeholders (e.g. business stakeholders, product owners, project managers, and end users) to understand functional and non-functional requirements.
- Investigate and propose solutions to development and design problems.
- Participate in work estimation and forecasting.
- Adhere to architecture, design, implementation, and security standards and best practices.
- Participate in code reviews or use collaborative programming techniques to promote high quality business outcomes.
- Conduct analysis to determine integration needs, and design and plan integrations.
- Implement unit and integration tests and conduct functional and performance testing where appropriate.
- Document code, administration procedures, user procedures, work tasks, project status
- Perform regular user access and security audits.
- Troubleshoot issues and provide tier 3 level support to web content administrators.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with Drupal CMS
- Experience working in an Agile based development team
- IT service management practices and tracking based on ITIL in Azure DevOps and ServiceNow
KNOWLEDGE OF: Applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various technology products and services; web development using popular frameworks and supporting technologies such as React, Angular, jQuery, Express, Vue, Node.js; designing web user interfaces with a strong understanding of user experience; maintaining and administering a web CMS system; PHP development; supporting technologies (e.g. MS SQL, MySQL, MariaDB, Windows Server, Linux, IIS, Apache, NGINX); software architecture; managing code in a GIT based repository; common software design patterns; working within an established SDLC process.
ABILITY TO: Develop and maintain web applications; analyze information and elicit requirements from end users; learn new technologies independently; plan and organize multiple assignments to meet deadlines; communicate clearly both orally and in writing; work cooperatively and productively as a team member in an Agile environment; use analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, strategic planning and execution skills.