Editorial Assitant 🔥
WHO WE ARE:
ISTE is a nonprofit edtech organization with over 40 years of experience thinking about and solving the problems of educators. Our mission is to help educators around the world use technology to solve tough problems. Together with our award-winning journalism team, EdSurge, we seek to inspire transformational action and change, and to grow a global community of passionate education professionals committed to solving tough problems in education.
WHO WE ARE SEEKING:
A detail-oriented and collaborative individual with strong communication skills to take on the role of Editorial Assistant supporting our Books and Journals team. Key responsibilities in this role include being a central point of contact for the team as well as providing support in the area of content review, market or audience research and proofreading and editing. In addition, the Editorial Assistant will be responsible for administrative tasks, that include, monitoring customer inquiries, processing invoices, running reports, preparing marketing material, interfacing with authors via social media, and providing administrative support across the team. . Being able to work independently and complete multiple tasks under tight deadlines is essential in this role. An individual in this role should be passionate about book publishing and eager to learn about the field of education technology.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Administrative and Customer Support
- Monitor customer support inquiries and respond in a timely manner.
- Process complementary book orders and desk copy requests.
- Send author and sample copies.
- Process invoices to ensure that contractors and vendors are paid in a timely manner.
- Pull data and run reports from across various systems, including Salesforce and Ingram IQ.
- Maintain metadata spreadsheet and update ISTE and retail product pages as needed.
- Optimize keywords and BISAC codes for all book products to ensure best practices for SEO.
- Check distribution feeds across various channels to ensure they are functioning as planned and are up to date.
- Assign ISBNs and secure barcodes for book products.
- Format book manuscripts for production.
- Create QR codes and short links that appear in books.
- Process Cataloging in Print applications and copyright registration for book projects.
- Proofread manuscripts prior to publication.
- Format and prepare galley or POD versions of books through Ingram Lightning Source.
- Prepare and post excerpts and TOCs to ISTE product pages.
- Check for updates and errata prior to processing book reprints.
- Create sell sheets for distributors highlighting forthcoming books.
- Follow authors on social media, help maintain author activity spreadsheet and share relevant news with the ISTE social media team.
- Support production of marketing collateral for book products.
- Edit and post media reviews to book product pages.
- Periodically update web pages with new information.
- Assist with annual catalog, with possible tasks including drafting copy, layout, and proofreading.
- Send out review copies and galleys to media and influencers.
- Coordinate and prepare marketing collateral and other supporting materials for onsite events such as ISTE’s annual conference.
- Provide support for ISTE events such as Summer Learning Academy and Creative Constructor Lab.
- Participate in virtual events and provide support such as posting links in chat, and creating and posting digital resources.
- Bachelor's degree in a humanities-related field or equivalent experience, and training is required.
- A minimum of 2 years relevant work experience working in a publishing, or editorial environment.
- Experience with Google Workspace, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.
- Experience with graphic design and layout software, Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, preferred.
- Familiarity with HTML.
- Awareness of the market, current events, trends, and topics.
- Ability to perform sales analysis, gathering data from various sources and creating reports.
- Strong command of grammar and familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style and AP Style.
- Comfortable working with authors, vendors, and other partners; and the ability to give constructive feedback.
- Detail oriented with the ability to successfully manage multiple projects at various stages of development and production.
- Company paid health care benefits (75%)
- 403B match (2.5%)
- Paid paternity leave
- Company paid life and disability insurance
- An amazing amount of PTO
- Paid time off between December 24 - January 1
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: Remote