Manager, Product Design - Core Product
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic has changed the way sports fans follow their favorite teams and leagues. Our core product team works at the intersection of our engineering, design, and data teams, as well as The Athletic’s Newsroom, the largest in sports media. Our team strives to craft sports experiences that blend technology with world class sports journalism. As a hands-on product design manager who isn’t afraid to roll up her sleeves, you will set the design standards across all parts of our product. You will lead a team of designers on our core product design team and be the go-to thought partner on every project they work on. This is an exciting opportunity to have a major impact on all of the products that we ship.
- Lead a team of product designers tasked with creating world class experiences for The Athletic’s users across both our mobile apps and website.
- Collaborate with the product team to create wireframes, visuals, and prototypes that contribute to new and ongoing features.
- Work through product problems from definition and opportunity to shipping features.
- Work alongside the extended Product Design team to build and maintain our design system.
- Establish yourself as a leader on the design and product teams, contributing to product strategy and roadmap.
- Present design solutions to cross-functional partners and company executives, defend design decisions, and incorporate feedback into the design cycle.
- Work across multiple cross-functional teams, partnering with Product Managers, Engineers, GMs, Analysts, and company executives on taking concepts from ideation to execution.
- Roll up your sleeves to deliver high fidelity mobile app and web designs to the engineering teams. Work with engineers to ensure the visual quality of what we release.
- Communicate the progress and outcome of your work to your teammates and partners.
- 7+ years of relevant product design experience at a consumer company (media, sports, or subscription business is a big plus).
- 3+ years of people managing a design team.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams.
- Experience developing great user experiences, and an ability to empathize with users.
- Experience supporting the design process by creating user flows, wireframes, UI designs, prototypes, and establishing/maintaining design systems.
- Ability to manage your time across several workstreams.
- Expert level Figma, Sketch, motion and prototyping skills.
- Cross-discipline fluency. You know how to break down big challenges into smaller decisions framed as trade-offs (e.g. time vs. scope).
- Strong visual and typographic sensibility.
- Enthusiasm for The Athletic and sports.
- Ability to think at a high level about product and feature strategy but also act with speed and precision to actualize projects.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Athletic focuses on Digital Media, Sports, Publishing, News, and Journalism. Their company has offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, San Francisco Bay Area, and Boston. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Athletic has raised $68.1M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2022.
You can view their website ator find them on , , and .