Digital Engagement Manager
Beyond Carnism is seeking a full-time digital engagement manager, a key member of the communications team who will be responsible for developing and implementing our social media strategy, managing our social media accounts, and engaging our online community.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for and commitment to Beyond Carnism’s mission and values, knowledge of social media strategy, and experience managing accounts on a wide range of social media platforms. They will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment without sacrificing quality and will be highly organized and self-directed and have exceptional English written and verbal communication skills, with an extraordinary attention to detail.
Who We Are
Beyond Carnism is a US-based, international organization dedicated to exposing and transforming carnism, the invisible belief system that conditions people to eat certain animals. Inspired by the work of our founding president, Dr. Melanie Joy, we have created innovative programs and campaigns, which have had a significant global impact. Beyond Carnism is a small, vibrant organization with a startup feel and ambitious goals. Our strategic aims over the next three years include making carnism a mainstream term and significantly increasing the reach of our(CEVA). We also aim to build out our newer work on , the understanding of and ability to practice healthy ways of relating.
What You’ll Do
The digital engagement manager, who will report to the head of communications, will be responsible for:
- Developing a social media strategy
- Planning and producing content for all of our social media accounts (@beyondcarnism and @drmelaniejoy on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, and others)
- Engaging our supporters and networks on social media
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with other organizations and influencers via social media
- Analyzing the performance of our social media in order to inform our social media strategy
- Care deeply about effective communication: You understand the importance of communicating effectively, and you can speak and write clearly, with correct grammar and without typos. You aim for accuracy and attention to detail, and you can choose the most appropriate ways to organize and share information. Once provided with guidance, you can select the most suitable channel and tone for any communication.
- Be able to quickly comprehend complex, sensitive issues and communicate about them in a strategic, nuanced manner: You have a foundational understanding of systems of oppression, social justice, carnism, and veganism. When you encounter new concepts in these areas, you can quickly comprehend them and communicate about them sensitively and effectively with our social media communities. You can quickly develop a thorough understanding of our work and our brands and internalize the ideas and concepts.
- Have experience and knowledge of social media strategy: You have managed social media accounts before and can confidently develop and implement a social media strategy that is in line with the goals and objectives of Beyond Carnism.
- Have an eye for design: You know what it is about a design that makes it an overall success, and you have basic graphic design skills that you can build upon.
- Be self-directed, highly organized, motivated, and detail-oriented: You are highly organized and have exceptional attention to detail in a fast-paced, high-work-volume environment. You triple-check your work, even in a crunch for time. You notice and fix errors that others might overlook, and you’re able to effectively plan and prioritize when faced with competing deadlines. You effectively manage high-stakes work and value quality over quantity. You stay ahead of the curve in an ever-changing technology environment.
- Be committed to the values of Beyond Carnism: You will contribute to our culture by being committed to our core values, which include relationality, compassion, integrity, open-mindedness, inclusivity, strategic thinking, and effective altruism. You will also demonstrate a commitment to continuous learning and show a high level of self-awareness.
- Developing our plans for the ongoing promotion of our CEVA online courses via social media
- Using social media to expand the reach of our books, including by engaging with influencers and arranging Instagram Live interviews with Melanie Joy
- Helping to conduct an “audit” of our existing content in order to develop a social media advertising campaign
What Else You Should Know
At Beyond Carnism, we are committed to equal opportunities and to creating a diverse and inclusive work culture. The commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity is one of our core values and is reflected in our internal and external communications. We especially encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities to apply. Furthermore, all employees are required to become literate around privilege and systems of oppression, and we will provide the information necessary to help staff develop such awareness.
The position is full-time and remote with occasional opportunities to travel to meet with the team. This position is open to candidates in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, and Canada. The salary for this position ranges from $40,000 to $45,000. We also offer excellent benefits such as flexible working hours, 24 days of PTO (paid time off), pension contributions, health insurance coverage, and a home-office equipment budget.