Compensation & Benefits Manager 🔥
Protect Democracy seeks a highly motivated Compensation & Benefits (C&B) Manager to join our team.
This is a newly created position in which you will become part of our collaborative Operations team and play a critical role in ensuring the continued operational and team health of Protect Democracy. This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in scaling the personnel-related processes and policies of a rapidly growing nonprofit.
This is a multidisciplinary role, touching on personnel, operations, and finance. You will manage the day-to-day administration of our compensation and benefits and help shape the evolution of our rewards structure. Collaborating with partners across the organization, you’ll play a key role in onboarding new staff and also identifying emerging team needs and strategizing solutions.
Protect Democracy recognizes that there is strength in diversity and strongly encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum to apply. You can work from any location in the United States.
In this role, you will:
- Implement all day-to-day internal compensation and benefits functions of the organization, including payroll, raises, 401k, health care, FSA programs, life and disability insurance, etc;
- Collaborate with partners across the organization to identify emerging team compensation and benefits needs and strategize solutions;
- Develop and implement an internal messaging strategy to ensure staff members know and take advantage of sponsored benefits;
- Manage Protect Democracy’s employment compliance functions, including required local, state, and federal registrations, reports, and staff trainings;
- Contribute to the onboarding and offboarding experience for new and departing staff members;
- Liaise with accounting, benefits, compliance, and legal vendors working to support the organization;
- Work closely with the Organizational Management team to ensure continued alignment between Operations-supported services and organizational culture and belonging;
- Independently seek opportunities to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s operational and financial framework by closely examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making concise recommendations to the Director of Operations;
- Strategize with other team members and actively contribute ideas during project brainstorming sessions
- Passion for protecting our democracy;
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in the private sector or at a mission-driven organization (including non-profit organizations);
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Uncompromising attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution;
- Proven project management experience, including the ability to develop and implement plans and track, prioritize and balance an assortment of ongoing responsibilities and competing deadlines, while anticipating the Organization’s needs;
- Comfort managing and analyzing complex data sets;
- Strong writing and research skills;
- Collaborative orientation, including ability to work well with people with diverse backgrounds and to manage up, down, and sideways.
- Growth mindset that recognizes that we are all on a constant path of improvement and that regular, candid, and direct feedback is a gift to be cherished so that we can further grow;
- Excellent critical thinking skills — you can reason your way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to efficient solutions;
- Comfort taking smart, strategic and calculated risks;
- Comfort working in a start-up environment and pivoting to solutions as the organization grows