Mid-senior Full Stack Software Engineer
Callisto is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to combat sexual assault, support survivors, and advance justice through technology. Specifically, we create a website that makes it easier for sexual assault survivors to report and name their assailant and enable the detection of repeat sexual offenders. We also connect survivors to attorneys who advise them on their options to seek justice. We are funded by philanthropic supporters, including donors and foundations, such as Google.org,, , and the .
It is an exciting time to join our organization as we are looking to grow significantly within the next 1-3 years! We are all united in the belief that we can create a more safe and just world.
About the Position:
We are looking for a talented Software Engineer to join our Product Team who is passionate and ready to contribute their skills to help achieve Callisto’s mission. As a Software Engineer at Callisto, you will join a fast-paced, non-profit tech startup to implement and support first-class technical infrastructure in order to solve a complex problem in the social justice, data security, and legal space.
- Work with the Engineering and Design teams to innovate and create highly impactful products for survivors of sexual assault.
- Collaborate with other engineers to ensure best practices around software development.
- Deliver secure, user-friendly and accessible products.
- Help implement Callisto’s data security and advanced cryptography strategy.
- Debug and troubleshoot problems in complex systems.
- Participate in product team activities, such as daily standups, user-centric product design, QA work, and project management.
- Help create a world where sexual violence is rare and survivors are supported.
- 4+ years of experience building and supporting production quality software.
- High proficiency programming frontend ReactJS applications using Typescript.
- Experience with back-end tools such as NodeJS, Postgres and Typescript.
- Experience in building and shipping products with a data security focus.
- A desire to own projects from end-to-end.
- Working knowledge of relational databases and git.
- Experience working in cross-functional product development teams.
- Comfortable working with a remote, geographically-distributed software development team.
- Experience with cryptography, security protocols and key management is a plus
What to Expect at Callisto:
We bring the best of many different industries together, including engineers, designers, educators, and legal experts. We've crafted a culture that balances ambitious world change with team sustainability and self-care. We are thoughtful, rigorous, inclusive, humble, kind, direct, creative, agile, entrepreneurial, and mission-driven. We don't take ourselves too seriously, but take the work very seriously. And amazingly, despite the sobering realities of the problem we're trying to solve, we have a ton of fun. We identify and solve problems as a team of experts, working together to bring about our vision for the world.
Callisto offers competitive salaries, a 401k, paid leave, and medical, dental, and vision insurance. Members of the Callisto team receive a generous professional development budget. Callisto is 100% remote and geographically distributed throughout the US. Callisto has flexible work hours, letting you work where and when you can perform at your best.
Our Mission & Vision
Our vision is a world where sexual assault is rare and survivors are supported. Our mission is to combat sexual assault, support survivors, and advance justice through Technology.
Callisto is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity throughout all aspects of the organization and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.