The Center for Cultural Power exists to create a thriving ecosystem for artists and culture makers to shift world view from one of domination to one of collaboration.
A women of color, artist led organization, we inspire artists and culture makers to imagine a world where power is distributed equitably and we live in harmony with nature.
The Center for Cultural Power is creating a thriving ecosystem for artists and culture makers who are dismantling systems of oppression and are dedicated to transformational creative practices.
We build artist power through fellowships, trainings, and activations.
We engage groups in cultural strategy and are co-creating a field of cultural strategy with organizations and practitioners through convenings, design teams, and strategy tables.
Our website has more about the organization and our team.
Location: This is a remote position. The individual will be expected to work with a team in the Pacific time zone.
Reports to: Director of Strategy, VP
About The Center for Cultural Power
Artists transform the world by creating powerful art - stories, images and songs. The Center for Cultural Power exists to create a thriving ecosystem for artists and culture makers to shift world view from one of domination to one of collaboration.
A women of color, artist led organization, we inspire artists and culture makers to imagine a world where power is distributed equitably and we live in harmony with nature. The Center for Cultural Power is creating a thriving ecosystem for artists and culture makers who are dismantling systems of oppression and are dedicated to transformational creative practices. We build artist power through fellowships, trainings, and activations. We create intersectional stories and content addressing issues of migration, climate and gender justice. We engage groups in cultural strategy and are co-creating a field of cultural strategy with organizations and practitioners through convenings, design teams, and strategy tables. Ourhas more about the organization and .
Our staff and board align around the following organizational values:
- We commit to a Culture of Learning & Growth.
- We commit to a Culture of Inspiration & Aspiration.
- We commit to a Culture of Collaboration.
- We commit to a Culture of Regenerative Practice.
- Provide people management coaching and support to all Department Directors in coordination with the Director of HR and in consultation with the organization’s employment lawyer. Directly manage the Comms, Finance, Development and HR Directors.
- Oversee culture building initiatives in partnership with the HR Director. Partner with HR Director to update hiring practices, including developing core competencies and integrating behavior based interview techniques. Update salary scales to retain talent and with an eye for equity and transparency; clarify pay scales based on capacity at each level. Partner with HR Director on racial justice, gender justice and internal values building work executing scopes, identifying gaps, and hiring consultants in alignment with strategy set forth by VP and Director of HR.
- Oversee timely responses to HR ensuring our shared values and goals are leveraged to resolve conflict.
- Oversee the creation of employee management tools for CEL as needed.
- Oversee the streamlining of the employee evaluation process, which could include automation, reducing redundancy in the format, aligning with core competencies and internal values, and creating a mid-year touchpoint process. Oversee the annual employee review process, ensuring shared standards and scales across the organization.
- Develop systems and model behavior that increases the flow of information and clarity across the organization.
- Manage weekly staff meetings with input from the Leadership Team.
- Partner with VP on building a cohesive Leadership Team and managing weekly team meetings.
- Identify, recruit and secure talent for the permanent COO position. Partner with HR in managing the hiring process.
- Manage system to ensure that Directors are on track to meet grant deliverables.
- Partner with the Finance Director to update systems to track and report on grant related expenditures, including targets for Directors to tag grants to their direct costs in the organizational budget; Oversee the development of systems for finance & development to allocate staff time by funding source that aligns with org budget, grant project budgets and cost sharing agreements across multiple entities.
- Oversee the budget reforecasting in partnership with the Finance Team and in alignment with the VP’s strategic direction.
- Communicate financial requirements and implications of business decisions to leadership and the Board of Directors Provide high level oversight of the annual budgeting process, support business planning with sophisticated financial models and accurate revenue forecasts; update systems for revenue tracking and reporting
- Identify, develop, and implement operational systems improvements that will support highly efficient and effective operational performance at The Center for Cultural Power, both improving upon the current state of operations and moving good systems to great ones. This will include upgrades to Salesforce and other organizational-wide software.
- Oversee risk management and legal activities such as memorandums of understanding, contracts, leases, and other legal documents and agreements. Update grant templates for individuals and organizations and implement trainings with relevant staff templates and uses.
- Oversee the hiring of a fiscal sponsor for the Constellations Initiative and support the development of cost sharing agreements, subcontract and or grant from the fiscal sponsor to Cultural Power
- Oversee the development and updating of COVID policies, including vaccine policies and other measures
- Oversee the transition to a distributive workforce, including the development of relevant policies and the pricing and creation of in person retreats.
- Oversee c3 and c4 compliance in partnership with the Campaign Director, HR director and outside counsel
- Oversee the management of cost sharing agreements with CEL and The Constellations Culture Change Fund
- Ensure a culture of data where we accurately track information that reflects program operations, key performance metrics, and outcome data
- 10 years + in people management, culture building and HR.
- Expertise overseeing complex legal and financial systems.
- Strong project management skills and ability to maintain high-level focus, delegating tasks while keeping momentum on projects.
- Experience fostering and building systems to streamline collaboration and clarity across cross functional teams.
- Cultural fluency and direct experience working with BIPOC communities.