Core Platform Engineer (Python/Java/Kotlin)
Quartet is a platform that makes it easier for people to get the best mental health care for them. Our technology and services reach people who need care, connect them to the right care, track the quality of their care, and support their care journeys. Backed by $160.5MM in venture funding from top investors like Oak HC/FT, GV (formerly Google Ventures), F-Prime Capital Partners, Polaris Partners, Deerfield Management, Centene Corporation, and Echo Health Ventures, Quartet partners with health insurance plans and health systems in 32 states across the country to help people get the care they need.
We are deeply committed to growing a diverse team and an equitable and inclusive culture where all Quartetians are empowered to be themselves and do their best work. We know this is vital in realizing our mission to improve the lives of people with mental health conditions. As part of our commitment to building a diverse team, we have signed the Parity Pledge and actively encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
About the team & opportunity
Quartet’s Core Platform team owns and operates a variety of backend services that support end-user applications and integrations with internal and external systems. These services are written in Kotlin, Java and Python, are typically supported by PostgreSQL, and run on AWS. Day to day, Core Platform engineers work in cross functional teams with members from the product team and other engineering teams to add capabilities and features to a system that is helping people receive the mental health care they need most.
As a Senior Backend Engineer candidate you are looking to work with a team that values trust, openness and safety. You believe that your best work comes from developing empathy for the people using your product and enjoy exploring problems with people who have different experiences to yours. In terms of the craft of coding, you’re highly proficient in at least one language, possibly more. You may have developed user interfaces before, but have a preference for backend systems. You value testability, changeability, and reliability amongst other ilities that you believe make for a high quality system. As a team member, you are also looking to apply leadership skills to help your team effectively deliver to production. As a peer, you might also enjoy helping others grow and make the most of their career.
- Collaborate with engineers, product managers and designers.
- Define, estimate and deliver system features and capabilities.
- Design scalable and secure technical solutions.
- Consistently deliver high quality and well tested code to production
- Review code contributions to Core Platform owned services
- Upskill junior engineers and support their growth.
- Support the system by participating in the on-call rotation.
- Interview candidates during hiring phases.
- At least five years professional experience writing production quality code.
- Experience building web APIs and awareness of common API design principles.
- Experience with SQL, relational database modeling and schema migration strategies.
- Awareness of web application security concerns and preventative strategies.
- Demonstrated understanding of DevOps and automation engineering.
- Experience deploying services on a major cloud provider.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience with Java, Kotlin and/or Python.
- Demonstrated understanding of continuous delivery
- Experience working with third party APIs.
- Experience managing cloud resources with Terraform.
- Experience responding to incidents as an on-call engineer.
- Awareness of Domain Driven Design principles.
Employee Benefits for Quartet include: Unlimited vacation, volunteer opportunities, team events, mental healthcare coverage of 15 free therapy sessions + unlimited copay reimbursements, medical, dental + vision coverage, generous parental and military leave, commuter benefits, 401K, and stock option grants.
Want to know what Quartet life is like? Clickto meet our team.
Quartet actively encourages applicants of all backgrounds to apply and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential job duties - reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. If you require assistance in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Quartet does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Quartet will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Quartet.
Have someone to refer? Emailto submit their details to us.