URGE plays a unique and critical role as a reproductive justice organization that engages young people and catalyzes their power to fight for the ability of all people to build the families they want, access the healthcare they need, and to live and love in a way that’s true to who they are. Working with young people ages 18-30, and the leadership of young people of color, women, queer, trans, and nonbinary folks, and people of low-income, URGE provides training, field mobilization and national leadership to move policy, systemic, and cultural change.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for supporting the planning, organizing, and daily accounting of URGE. This position assists with Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Cash Receipts and Payroll processes, along with other special projects as needed. The Staff Accountant is responsible for applying and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial data.
Placement: This position is based in Washington, DC. Candidates must be prepared to work from a home office with equipment provided by URGE.
This is a full-time exempt position that reports to the Deputy Director of Finance and Accounting (DDFA).
· Manage the ongoing general ledger processes for the organization including accounts payable, vendor file, and fixed asset inventory. Generate and post general journal entries for salary and shared-cost allocations, depreciation, and pre-paid expenses.
· Reconcile all bank and investment accounts on a monthly basis. Post interest, dividends, gains and unrealized gains and losses. Create and maintain cash flow forecast.
· Reconcile revenue in collaboration with Development staff.
· Reconcile grants accounts on general ledger to grants management system monthly.
· Assist with the accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end close processes.
· Continuous management and support of budget and forecast activities.
· Work with the DDFA to develop and manage annual operating budget.
· Prepare, verify, and process contracts with private, public, and corporate vendors.
· Assist with the annual audit, including preparation of year-end closing, balance sheet accounts analysis, flux schedules and journal entries.
· Participate in development and improvement of accounting procedures and fiscal policies.
· Document current and new practices for procedures and accounting manual.
· Maintain compliance calendar to be sure required filings are on time and accurate.
· Develop and train non-finance staff on fiscal procedures.
· Other fiscal duties/projects as assigned.
· Commitment to reproductive and gender justice, abortion access for all, queer and trans liberation, building young people’s political power, and dismantling white supremacy.
· Commitment to co-creating a work environment that is just, equitable, and inclusive to all, including Black, Indigenous, and other people of color, LGBTQIA+ people, women, and people with disabilities.
· Either 5 years of non-profit experience in audit and accounting, with a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field, or 7 years non-profit experience in audit and accounting without formal education.
· Experience working in fast-paced environment with attention to detail and quality of work.
· Experience in QuickBooks desktop and on-line.
· Experience in Tallie and Bill.com (remote bill pay and reimbursement systems).
· Advanced knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices and principles.
· Knowledge of auditing practices and principles.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office system, with advanced Excel skills required.
· Good organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities. Detail oriented.
· Must be able to take initiative, prioritize, and work well under pressure.
· Superior interpersonal skills and ability to handle communication tactfully and effectively.
· Professional and highly ethical.
· Ability to interact well with colleagues at all levels of the organization.
· Ability to work independently, yet also effectively as a part of a collaborative team.
· Must be a detail-oriented person.
Salary: $55 - $65k annually with excellent benefits, including health and dental coverage for staff fully paid by URGE. Because of the differences in cost of living based on location, URGE utilizes location in determining salary, among many factors.
To Apply: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please state “Staff Accountant” on the subject line. Incomplete applications will NOT be considered. Please send a cover letter and resume to.
URGE is an equal opportunity employer. Black, Indigenous and other people of color, LGBTQIA+ people, and those with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.