The Center for Climate Integrity (CCI) seeks a Staff Attorney to support the organization’s mission to empower communities and elected officials with the knowledge and tools they need to hold polluters accountable for their contributions to the climate crisis.
Founded in mid-2017, CCI is scaling up national and local efforts on several fronts: supporting municipalities and states in efforts to hold the fossil fuel industry accountable for climate adaptation and resilience costs; protecting access to courts to ensure that communities have the right to sue to recover costs; and elevating the industry’s deception and denial across a variety of audiences and channels. Through campaigns, communications, and strategic legal support, we work to ensure that the fossil fuel industry is held accountable for its fraud and deception and for the costs associated with the climate damages that it has caused.
The Center for Climate Integrity is an all-remote organization and the staff attorney will be expected to have excellent time management and communication skills.
Reporting directly to the Center’s Legal Director, the Staff Attorney will play a critical role in the legal team, which provides legal and strategic support on a range of issues relevant to climate liability cases and related campaigns.
- Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conducting legal research and analysis on issues pertaining to climate liability. More specifically, conducting research and writing long-form legal analysis of key legal issues relevant to ongoing lawsuits, scoping of new lawsuits in new jurisdictions, and identifying other strategies/means of engagement;
- Monitoring ongoing climate liability cases and helping to develop guidance on media messaging as appropriate; and
- Assisting with the development of programs/events that educate the legal community on the need for climate accountability.
Qualifications And Experience
- Law degree as well as 3-5 years professional experience with campaign organizing, issue advocacy or public affairs required;
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work with multiple staff and stakeholders across a decentralized organization;
- Excellent writing and presentation skills;
- A flexible approach to work, with a willingness to travel, as needed;
- Familiarity with climate litigation and advocacy.
Remote Working Environment:
CCI is an all-remote organization, and as such candidates will need to arrange for some of their own infrastructure and tools. A laptop computer can be provided, if needed, but the selected candidate will need to have access to:
- Reliable internet connection
- Cell phone
Compensation and Benefits:
- The salary range for this position is $75,000 - $85,000
- CCI offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, full medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401k with matching, and opportunities for professional development.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter towith the subject line, “Staff Attorney.” Qualified candidates will be contacted. Applications may be submitted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
CCI is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. People of color, members of the LGBT community, and women and non-binary people are strongly encouraged to apply.