Manager, Academy Development
NAF is a national network of education, business, and community leaders who work together to ensure high school students are college, career, and future ready. NAF’s educational design ignites students’ passion for learning and gives businesses the opportunity to shape America’s future workforce by transforming the learning environment to include STEM infused industry-specific curricula and work-based learning experiences, including internships.
Since 1980, NAF has been partnering with high-need communities to improve outcomes for students by implementing NAF academies – small learning communities within existing high schools. NAF has grown from one NAF Academy of Finance in New York City to hundreds of academies across the country focusing on growing industries including: finance, hospitality & tourism, information technology, engineering, and health sciences. During the 2020-2021 school year, over 117,000 students attended 619 NAF academies across 37 states, plus DC, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. In 2020, NAF academies reported 99% of seniors graduated with 87% of graduates planning to go to college.
The Manager, Academy Development supports school districts/academies with their implementation of the NAF Educational Design, with laser focus on quality and fidelity to the design. This position will drive progress towards scoping, planning, and delivering on NAF’s most critical initiatives, including Academy Development, Work-Based Learning and Advisory Board Development. A critical component in this process is to assist districts in developing meaningful relationships with a wide array of community partners including, corporate, civic, post-secondary, and other organizations critical to the successful attainment of NAFTrack Certification for all students. The Manager, Academy Development is tasked with managing and supporting a portfolio of districts identified by the Network Segmentation Review and implementing services defined in the Network Support Model. The Manager, Academy Development will ensure design alignment, clarity of plans, progress, and realization of goals/objectives. Project metrics will be used to facilitate discussions, as well as communicate overall project status as required.
Travel is required regionally and nationally – normally approximately 70%; currently limited due to COVID. Office location can generally be either in the New York City NAF corporate office or from a home office within the continental United States. However, our NYC office is currently closed, with all staff working remotely.
Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to:
Network Engagement Strategic Development: QUALITY and GROWTH (35%)
· Develop, recommend and execute strategies for increasing the net number and quality of priority districts and academies in alignment with NAF goals and priorities.
· Support fund development activities from foundations, corporations and government entities supporting education reform and career education work.
· Ensure that academy and district leaders embrace and engage with NAF to meet individual enrollment levels.
· Ensure each academy understands and completes data submission, especially the Academy Assessment, accurately and on time, validating these submissions.
· Ensure project metrics are informing decisions, and quickly manage change efforts as needed.
· Work with academy directors/site and district leaders to ensure membership responsibilities are met, such as:
o Conference and other professional development and event participation
o Curriculum implementation
o Adherence to NAF Educational Design
o Equity in student recruitment
Relationship Management (35%)
· Strengthen relationships with assigned district and site-based leadership in support of academy development with particular focus on Work-Based Learning and Advisory Board Development.
· Continue to develop partnerships with key local, civic, industry, and community partners to assist NAF in meeting its goals and priorities.
· Work internally and externally with NAF partners to maximize NAFTrack Certification attainment for all students.
· Serve as a secondary spokesperson for NAF events, internships, NAFTrack, and conferences that influence policy and practice on work-based learning.
· Work with internal and external stakeholders to communicate project scope, tasks, deliverables, goals, resources, schedules and budgets.
· Manage communications and media opportunities between NAF, academies, corporate partners, and other stakeholders.
Professional Development & Academy Support (30%)
· Responsible for the planning and delivery of various professional development opportunities, either onsite or virtual, to move academies to a higher level on the academy development continuum.
· Partner with other NAF teams to assess professional development needs in the network and collaborate to provide standardized or tailored trainings.
· Provide technical support and ensure access to systems and resources.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· 3 – 5 years’ experience in an education-related role.
· Experience working with or in the NAF network or other career-readiness organization.
· Experience delivering professional development and/or training.
· Experience implementing, supporting, and assessing program or project standards.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Commitment to the NAF mission and vision for young people.
· Working knowledge of high schools in reform environments, career related academies and work in public school environments preferred.
· Exemplary presentation development and delivery skills.
· Strong technology skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office.
· Ability to build and maintain relationships within all levels of an organization and with external partners.
· Ability to successfully work on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
· Ability to work both independently and collaborative on cross-functional teams.
· Bilingual Spanish/English written and spoken proficiency is desirable, but not required.
Interested applicants may send a resume and cover letter to. Please include the position title, your first name and last name in the subject line.