Virtual Visual Arts Instructor
Agency: Youth Options Unlimited Boston (YOU Boston), under the Mayor's Office of Workforce Development
Position: Virtual Visual Arts Instructor
Reports To: Assistant Deputy Director of Programming
Instructor must be able to effectively design and facilitate weekly career-specific training sessions for a cohort of 15 youth participants. Instructor must commit to YOU Boston’s summer career cohort cycle, beginning on Tuesday, July 6th, 2021, and ending on Thursday, August 19th, 2021. This position is 12 hours per week (6 hours of instruction and 6 hours of prep), Tuesday through Thursday, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Who We Are.
As part of the Mayor’s Office of Workforce Development, Youth Options Unlimited Boston (YOU Boston) is a youth development program that specializes in providing case management services and career development opportunities to Boston-area teens and young adults.
Who We Serve.
YOU Boston serves young people ages 14-24, who may be court-involved, gang-affiliated, or at-risk. All of the young people we work with are dealing with barriers to stable employment and educational attainment. However, there is no typical YOU Boston member. Our clients come from a diverse spectrum in regards to their home life, education status, court involvement, and work history. Every young person we employ is held to high standards of professionalism, commitment, and attendance.
What you’ll be doing:
The daily duties of the Virtual Visual Arts Instructor include but are not limited to the following:
1. Instruct and guide a cohort of 15 youth between the ages of 14 and 24 in weekly project-based career-specific training.
2. Teach participants about the different mediums used in visual art, how to apply art techniques and concepts using charcoal, graphite pencils, paint, and the various professions within the visual arts field.
3. Plan, design, and execute a project-based curriculum, including daily hands-on activities and a capstone project.
4. Identify duties for cohort Peer Leader.
5. Responsible for developing a participant tool kit.
6. Conduct three two-hour live instructional training sessions per week via Zoom.
7. Complete training assessments on each participant.
8. Encourage complex thinking, participation, and discussion by all youth participants.
9. Monitor youth participant’s weekly progress.
10. Work independently and report to the Assistant Deputy Director of Programming.
11. Work collaboratively with YOU Boston staff to ensure the safety and progress of all youth participants.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for strong and creative leaders; those with experience and/or an interest in working with young people. This position requires a high level of organizational and interpersonal skills. Applicants must be able to efficiently design and lead workshops, manage a project, work collaboratively as part of a team, and communicate effectively with staff and youth.
Requirements and Notes for Consideration:
● Preferred bachelor’s degree or proof of certification training in at least one of the following areas:
Illustration, Animation, Fine Arts, Art Education, Youth Development
● Hourly Pay is $25.00 at 12 hours per week, equaling 6 hours of instruction and 6 hours of prep time.
● Training sessions will be via Zoom or a similar platform on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Employee At-Will
Your employment status will be as a temporary at-will employee. As an at-will employee, either YOU Boston or you (the at-will employee) may terminate your employment at any time with or without notice or with or without cause. The location of your position will be on YOU Boston premises or designated worksite. Your check will be issued by the Economic Development and Industrial Corporation.
* Youth Options Unlimited Boston are Equal Opportunity Employer