Full Stack Software Developer/Development Team Consultancy
helps organizations and communities in over 15 different countries around the world achieve social impact. As a non-profit organization, with revolutionary ideas and approaches, we help organizations, networks, and groups understand the larger systems in which they operate and identify ways to make them more equitable and effective. In 2018, we designed and launched a web-based platform called that is grounded in social network analysis (SNA). Pando helps organizations improve their social impact by making it possible to identify diverse organizations within a system in real-time and instantly visualize this information as a network map. Data filters and analysis tools help users uncover key actors and network structures. Users can come back at any time and update their relationships and see how the network map changes over time. We actively use this first version of the tool, Pando 1.0, to support our work.
In late 2019, Root Change decided to rebuild the tool into a second version, Pando 2.0 to be released in mid 2021, that includes current Pando functionality, but is built on more robust infrastructure that will better support product development and new features. Pando 2.0 will also include feedback functionality, allowing users to send anonymous feedback surveys to organizations in network maps and analyze feedback data. Therefore, communication and alignment with our feedback design partners, Keystone Accountability, will be necessary. Other future feature development would involve creation of advanced analytics to support network analysis alongside feedback and to enhance user experience and retention on the site.
This is an exciting opportunity to (re)build an online platform and help to design and shape the front end from scratch. We have a solid graph database foundation and are now seeking a developer or development team to deliver a functional Pando 2.0 MVP over the next three to six months. You will be instrumental in bringing a combined network analytics and feedback tool to the social sector for the first time. We strongly believe in listening to our users and adapting the tool based on their needs. Candidates should be able to understand user needs and work with our non-technical team to design a product that responds to those needs. While our team has experience working with contracting developers, we do not have a full-time software developer on staff.
Product Management (20%)
- Gather and refine feature specifications based on technical needs and MVP requirements
- Guide our team in clearly defining scopes, timelines and priorities for the product using the agile method
- Provide weekly updates to the Root Change Product Development Team via Slack and participate in calls with our Product Manager
- Manage sprints and progress via an easy-to-follow product development board (Trello, GitHub projects, GoogleDocs, etc)
- Manage input and feedback from numerous team members
Software Development (80%)
- Execute agile sprints, keeping with agreed-upon timeline, budget, and product road map
- Build functional MVP of the site that Root Change can interact with and give feedback based on co-created wireframe designs for front-end site
- Iterate and adapt based on user feedback
- Cooperate with platform partners to integrate and manage data exchange via APIs, as well as other back-end services
- Follow development best practices for code structure, testing and documentation
Your Skills & Experience
- Proven work experience in building and deploying web apps (3+ years of experience)
- Good foundation in Python 3
- Comfort working with our stack:
- MongoDB, SQL
- Flask, React
- Heroku, AWS/Elastic Beanstalk
- Aggressive problem diagnosis and creative problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills to juggle multiple tasks within time constraints and manage deadlines
- Readiness to set goals, track deadlines, and execute high-quality tasks independently in a virtual work environment
- Ability to manage product expectations and define deliverables within a product development team
- Comfort adapting in response to feedback and working collaboratively as a team player
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with teammates who are not technical experts in software development
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse web technologies and techniques
- Familiarity with social network analysis preferred
- Experience working in the nonprofit or social sector preferred
(Equivalent skills that align with those above may be considered.)
Each employee is expected to embody Root Change’s core values as a representative of the institution.
Embrace Root Change’s mission and core values, including belief that:
- All people have a right to participate in decisions affecting their lives
- Gender and is mandatory for social transformation
- Local development actors should drive the development agenda in their own countries
- Diversity in background, race, gender, and age strengthens our capacity to be wise managers of public and private funds
Position Duration & Compensation
This is a three-month contract with the possibility of extending for another three to six months, based on performance and fit with our team. Monthly “sprints” will be defined as a collaboration between the developer(s) and Root Change and deliverables will be agreed upon for each month. Compensation to be discussed, with preference for a monthly retainer.
Candidates may work from anywhere (with strong internet)! Given the current situation with Covid-19, we anticipate this will be an entirely virtual position, with the option to come into the office should the situation improve before the end of the contract. Candidates are expected to be available online to participate in weekly updates and team calls during 9am-5pm EST at least 2 days a week.
Submit a one-page cover letter (including your daily rate) and your resume tousing the subject line “Full Stack Software Developer/Development Team.” Ideal start date is mid-June 2021. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
“Root Change is an equal employment opportunity employer to all employees and applicants. It is the policy of Root Change to prohibit discrimination based on age, gender, race/ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, or any other consideration prohibited by law. It is Root Change policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and in all ways provide fair treatment on the basis or merit without regards to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, and Vietnam veteran status or non-job pertinent disabilities in the employment practices of Root Change. These practices include but are not limited to promotion and upgrading, transfer, demotion, layoff or termination, rates of pay and other forms of compensation, selection of associates for training or related programs, recruitment and recruitment advertising.”
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.