NJ Democracy Organizer
About the Democracy Organizer
New Jersey Working Families Party is looking for an organizer who can successfully integrate electoral, relational, and digital organizing. The New Jersey Democracy Organizer should have excellent relational skills and strong partnership potential. They will focus on engaging and organizing our supporter base in areas where we don’t have staff or structure already in place. They will work with WFP allies to manage and develop coalitions with advocacy organizations, good government organizations, labor, political figures, and national connections.
The ideal Democracy Organizer has a demonstrated record of recent pro-democracy and electoral efforts in New Jersey. They will have strong grassroots relationships and experience working with, or in proximity to, major labor partners. To really flourish in this role, the organizer should come to WFP already having strong connections with other statewide progressive and good government groups. We're looking for someone who understands the NJ political situation from a micro and macro perspective. They should also be able to toggle between national and local progressive movements and navigate the commonalities and tensions between them.
To help NJ WFP integrate different kinds of organizing, the Democracy Organizer needs to be open to learning new things and working quickly under pressure. They have to be willing to try things out and be willing to make mistakes and learn from those mistakes. The Democracy Organizer should be happy to problem solve creatively, be tremendously resourceful and great at communication. In addition, they should have electoral campaign experience and understand voter targeting. They should also have the technological competence to work closely with the NJ Digital Organizer to implement our digital strategy. They should also be comfortable with fundraising.
This is a temporary position projected to end December 2021.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Work with State Director to Execute NJ's Democracy Strategy
- Create and manage a coalition of advocates for the democracy table and democracy resource center
- Work with local leaders when they encounter anti-democratic practices
- Help with fundraising for this work including by collaborating on proposals with State Director
Represent WFP in Various Coalitions and Partnerships
- Including but not limited to: Green New Deal/Thrive, For the Many/ Budget work, United Healthcare Coalition, Take Back NJ or the equivalent; Democracy Table.
- Build strategic partnerships with organizations, electeds and other politicos
Manage A Portion of Our Electoral Work
- Develop and execute strategy where needed on electoral work in NJ
- Manage digital engagement in concert with the NJ Digital Organizer
- Oversee supporter engagement, events, and other tactics to engage organizations and individuals
- Organize to generate NJWF members & supporters
Supporter Engagement and Organizing
- Maintain a regular schedule of 1-1 relational meetings with supporters, volunteers, and activists (10+ relational meetings/week)
- Work with NJ Digital Organizer to connect with and build our supporter base via organic social media, phone banking, volunteer referrals, online progressive communities, blog posts, emails, and peer-to-peer text campaigns
- Work with NJ Digital Organizer to ensure that supporters who reach out to WFP are (a) responded to effectively and in a timely manner, (b) organized into our ladder of engagement, and (c) provided with concrete volunteer opportunities
- Work with NJ Digital Organizer to experiment with engagement strategies to reach out to potential supporters and current volunteers, move them up the WFP ladder of engagement, and deepen their leadership.
- Work with NJ Digital Organizer to track the actions volunteers, supporters, and members and their leadership development in WFP's CRM (EveryAction) and Mobilize.us
Skills & Qualifications
- At least 1-3 years of experience organizing and working with, and training and developing, volunteers
- Strong technology skills including:
- Experience with peer-to-peer texting (creating, editing, and administering P2P campaigns - preferably in Spoke, but experience in ThruText, Hustle, or other platforms ok) or other relevant technical experience (e.g., uploading lists and managing another kind of database)
- Social media, especially as a digital organizing tool for an organization
- General data entry
- Experience working with a diverse group of volunteers and supporters across all demographics and backgrounds -- especially race, gender and class
- Familiarity with electoral and/or issue campaign tactics and messaging
- Demonstrated drive to be a proactive, innovative, and experimental organizer
- Ability to work varied hours including nights, weekends, and occasional holidays
- Demonstrated ability to change gears quickly and nimbly in a campaign environment
- Belief in leadership development and that growth relies on an individual’s ability to own important projects and achieve success for themselves
- Belief that organizing is about building connections and relationships and that distributing knowledge and power is key
- Belief that technology should be in service of organizing, not the other way round
- Belief that people collectively planning and working together create better solutions than the individual
- Must have access to strong wifi and good phone reception
- Commitment to progressive politics
- Understanding of the specific electoral issues NJ faces
- Nuanced understanding of NJ’s political scene
Preferred, but not required, Skills & Qualifications
- Already existing progressive movement relationships
- Familiarity with VAN or other voter file data
- Comfortable using Slack: using channels, direct messages, administrative options, and managing users within a Slack workspace
- Experience with organizing and tools used for phonebanking including predictive dialers, broadcast SMS messaging, social media and email/action pages, particularly Hubdialer, Thrutalk, Upland (Mobile Commons), Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Action Network
- Experience and comfort using EveryAction for tracking volunteer activity
- Experience and knowledge of PostGres databases, SQL queries, and/or Python language
- Strong command of Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet software
What Else Should You Know
Location: This position is based in New Jersey. When safe to do so, statewide travel will be required. WFP complies with all national, state, and local COVID-19 health and safety guidelines.
Duration of Employment: The initial contract will last through December 2021 with the possibility of renewal depending on electoral priorities and funding.
Salary: The salary range for this position is $55,000 to $65,000. The final salary will be determined based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and final job description. WFP also offers a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, paid holidays, and generous vacation and sick time.
Union: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a non-supervisory role eligible to join WFP's staff bargaining unit after six months of employment. WFP's union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
About Working Families Party
The Working Families Party is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. Our People’s Charter spells out our roadmap to a nation that cares for all of us. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
WFP is made up of individual and organizational members who come together to build a new political movement to change America.
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at email@example.com with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.