Join a high-impact effort addressing the great challenge of climate change. Climate Central is seeking an energetic, experienced editor/writer to join our Climate Matters team of data analysts, scientists, graphic designers, and writers. Each week, the team produces packages of data, production-ready graphics, text explainers, and more reporting resources for use by thousands of meteorologists and journalists across the U.S., often localized to individual media markets. The Editor/Writer, who will report to the Climate Matters Director, will be responsible for ensuring that the weekly production process operates effectively and on deadline. They will also serve as lead writer for several Climate Matters packages each month and producer for associated monthly webinars.
About Climate Central
Climate Central is an independent group of scientists and science translators who research and report the facts about our changing climate and how it affects people’s lives. We use science, big data, and tech to generate thousands of local storylines and compelling visuals that make climate change relevant and show what can be done about it. We address climate science, sea level rise, extreme weather, energy, and related topics. We collaborate nationwide with TV meteorologists, journalists, and other respected messengers, reaching broad audiences through local voices. Founded in 2008, we work in almost every U.S. media market and our research and imagery have appeared in well over 100 nations.
- Coordinate production of weekly Climate Matters media packages, working closely with team members to ensure that data analysis, graphics production, text development and review, distribution and posting remain on deadline and occur smoothly
- Serve as lead writer for two or three Climate Matters media packages each month
- Produce approximately one webinar per month, leading the identification and recruitment of relevant experts and coordinating run-of-show and related tasks in close collaboration with other team members
- Excellent project management skills and demonstrated capacity to effectively coordinate an interdisciplinary team of professionals producing high-quality content on deadline
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Demonstrated capacity to accurately translate scientific information into compelling, easy-to-understand language
- Meticulous attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Minimum 3 years of writing/reporting experience required
- Substantive familiarity with climate change is a plus but not required
Climate Central’s headquarters are in Princeton, N.J. A meaningful amount of presence at headquarters will be important, but partial-time remote work is an option for this position.
Compensation is competitive, with generous benefits.
Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.