Interim Communications Director
Job Title: Interim Communications Director
Time Period: mid-June 2021 - January 15, 2022
Status (FT/PT/ Temporary): FT
Reports to: Managing Director
Direct Reports: Communications Associate, Media Relations Manager
FLSA Status (Exempt/Non-Exempt): Exempt
Work Location: Remote
Salary: $90,000 annual salary
About Caring Across Generations:
Caring Across Generations (CAG) is a national campaign working to make care more affordable and accessible at every stage of life, while making sure caregivers are treated with respect and dignity. Founded in 2011 by Sarita Gupta and Ai-jen Poo, our campaign is focused on creating change in three ways: organizing a powerful movement of the Caring Majority - the majority of Americans who are directly affected by the need for care, fighting for groundbreaking policy at the state and federal level, and changing hearts and minds through storytelling and cultural organizing. We were behind the historic win to extend federal minimum wage and overtime protections to home care workers. In 2017 helped pass the nation’s first Family Caregiver benefit in the state of Hawaii. And in 2018, helped Washington state create the nation's first universal public program for long-term care.
About the Position:
Caring Across Generations seeks an experienced, strategic and talented Interim Communications Director who will oversee our communications work and team while our Communications Director is on leave. You will jump into fast-moving work as caregiving has been a primary focus on the current Administration and Congress, and there is expanded media interest and opportunity for Caring Across Generations.
This is a limited term employment opportunity with an anticipated duration of seven months. Exact start and end dates to be agreed upon.
The Interim Communications Director at Caring Across Generations oversees and manages the day-to- day communications work of the campaign.
Specifically, the Interim Communications Director:
- Guides a comprehensive communications strategy for Caring Across Generations that consistently articulates the breadth of the Campaign’s mission;
- Oversees the implementation of Caring Across’s communications strategy, including our media relations work; storyteller and spokesperson development; materials development; stakeholder communications; and collaborates with the digital director on our blog, social media content and editorial calendar planning and management.
- Works closely with the Caring Across Generations team as a peer strategist and communications leader on a variety of initiatives and campaigns.
- Implement communications strategy that is designed to raise the profile of Caring Across Generations, family caregivers, and our legislative, culture change, and advocacy campaigns.
- Lead, and manage our communications work celebrating the Campaign’s 10-year anniversary.
- Build upon and promote the Caring Across Generations brand identity.
- Equip and support staff to communicate Caring Across’s narrative in a consistent way.
- Supervise, edit and provide overall guidance and messaging support for Caring Across external-facing communications.
- Coordinate and align across work streams, conduct team meetings, help develop processes to streamline and optimize work, coach and support supervisees.
- Provide writing, editing support and voice approval to campaign principals.
- Lead strategy development and coordinate implementation, ensure that the team completes work plans, communicate with peer teams about larger strategic/organizational issues and represent the communications team in discussions, and participate in budget development.
- Manage external consultants as needed.
- Experience in working in communications at least one of the following issues: paid leave, childcare, aging, disability, social security or health care
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching communications skills
- Team player with a co-operative approach to colleagues
- Proven team leadership and project management skills
- Ability to balance a high volume of incoming requests from multiple constituencies across the organization
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity
- Experience managing a small team and a range of external consultants and vendors
- Proven success in developing and implementing communications strategy for complicated, intersectional work
- Comfort using internal communications channels such as Google drive, Slack, and Salesforce