Direct Response Financial Copywriter
Who are we?
We are The Motley Fool, a purpose-driven financial services firm with nearly 30 years of expertise. Our goal is to make the world smarter, happier, and richer by providing outstanding business and investing advice, at scale. But what does that even mean?! It means we’re helping Fools (always with a capital “F”) demystify the world of finance, beat the stock market, and achieve personal wealth and happiness through our investing services, like Stock Advisor, and Motley Fool Wealth Management, our portfolio management service.
What does this team do?
The Motley Fool’s Money Management business unit is looking for a copywriter who can inspire prospective clients to pursue a smarter, happier, and richer financial future using our actively managed investment solutions.
If you love writing about investing, business, stocks, financial advice, retirement, asset allocation, and financial planning…
If you can take topics that, unfortunately, most think are mundane and turn them into powerful tools of action that persuade people to take action toward their financial goals, then you should read on.
See, there’s some good (and a lot of bad) advice out there, and Motley Fool Money Management is focused on cutting through the noise to provide investors the services and products we believe are right for their unique financial goals.
Here’s the problem: investing and just money generally, can be a tough topic –it can be scary, overwhelming, confusing, or just plain dull –and it’s much easier to delay action than to put a plan together today.
What would you do in this role?
As a Copywriter, your job is to inspire and persuade people to stop waiting, stop delaying, stop making excuses — and to start taking steps towards financial independence, right this minute.
Your work will meet people where they are! Whether it’s articles, videos, social ads, free reports, sales emails, landing pages, websites, direct mail pieces, or sandwich boards… we’re looking for someone who can:
- write for any medium
- convey our distinctly “Foolish” investing philosophy and approachable personality
- understand the nuances of our products (some of which can be quite technical)
- keep it all compliant with regulations
- and do it all while seamlessly navigating various offers, calls to action, and best practices for sparking action on the part of our prospects.
Whew! If that sounds challenging, that’s because it is! But it keeps us on our toes, and - for the right kind of copywriter - can be a heck of a lot of fun too. Having mastered the operational intricacies of managing almost two billion dollars of client assets already, Motley Fool Wealth Management is poised to grow to our next billion in half the time. We have aggressive growth goals on the back of standing up a brand-new acquisition funnel, an ongoing cross-sell business, and creating a client experience that yields additional funding from our existing client base.
As our Copywriter you will be measured by the response your writing generates — Is the story you crafted for our landing page driving interest in our products and appointments for our team? Are the marketing emails you’re writing generating leads and conversions? Are the scripts you’re writing for our marketing videos creating clicks to a form submission?
But what does this role actually do?
- Developing the topics and big ideas for our online and email marketing campaigns throughout our entire conversion funnel. One day that could mean writing a catchy advertorial to run on our website to capture top of funnel interest. Another day that could mean writing a series of posts for our Facebook and LinkedIn pages that link to such an article. Other days it will mean you’re putting the final touches on a video script you’re going to shoot with our multimedia team. You’ll be responsible from concept inception to publication, across every marketing channel.
- Collaborating with designers to highlight and promote the right aspects of the copy or content to yield the reader actions we desire - clicks on an article, downloads of a free report, web form completions, views on videos, orders/conversions on sales emails, etc.
- Testing - topics, formats, audiences.
- Knowing our prospect target audiences and our existing client personas - their motivations, their concerns and resistances, their investing goals, what they will and won’t respond to, where they hang out online and how we can appeal to them.
- Researching industry and consumer trends to inform our marketing hooks that grab readers’ attention.
- Staying on top of business and market news to know what topics will generate buzz and to capitalize on timely messaging opportunities.
- Handling all the creative needs of multiple channels including emails, digital marketing ads, text placements, landing pages, order pages, microsites... and others we haven’t thought of yet because you don’t work here yet.
What do you need to apply?
We’ve found successful writers from a wide variety of backgrounds, from senior financial copywriters to marketers who love to write. The successful candidate will be able to provide evidence of persuasive writing ability—examples could include sales copy, a series of persuasive blogs, a host of articles that got readers to take the action you wanted, or maybe an email to grandma convincing her to share her secret chocolate chip cookie recipe with you.
We’re looking for:
- Knowledge and/or experience with long-form sales letters, video sales letters, advertorials, tried and true conversion tactics, and webinars.
- Experience writing marketing copy in the financial/investing vertical and/or a passionate interest in investing and writing
- Email direct response copywriting experience is a must.
- Must embrace & be effective working in a team environment.
- Must be flexible & adaptable to constantly changing methods and objectives
- Detail oriented. Strong proofing skills.
- Multi-tasks and prioritizes accordingly. Stays organized and meets deadlines.
- Needs to be successful at working remotely, and using critical collaboration tools such as video conferencing, workflow management, and online communication.
- The successful candidate will dive into research. The best marketing ideas do not magically appear—rather they are found through digging in and researching the topic, talking to the investors, and reading competitor marketing.
It’s even better if you have…
- Experience writing for the RIA space moves you to the front of the line!
The Motley Fool is firmly committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are a motley group of overachievers that have built a culture of trust founded on Foolishness, fun, and a commitment to making the world smarter, happier and richer. However you identify or whatever winding road has led you to us, please don't hesitate to apply if the description above leaves you thinking, "Hey! I could do that!"
The Motley Fool has been twice named Glassdoor’s #1 Best Small Business to work for in the U.S., named to Inc.’s Best Workplaces of 2020, named one of BuiltIn’s Best Places to Work in Colorado, and we’re a perennial favorite on Washingtonian’s list of Best Places to Work year after year. Below you’ll see a few of our perks, but check out this site for the complete list:
- No “vacation policy” (not to be confused with a “No vacation” policy)
- Paid maternity, paternity, and pet-ernity leave
- $1,000 to invest when you start
- Super low premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage
- Comprehensive compensation package, including company equity