Chief Digital Officer
has partnered with to identify and hire their first Chief Digital Officer. The Chief Digital Officer will be a proven, effective senior-level leader with extensive API experience. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their resume, along with a cover letter (required) to Cindy Joyce, Founder of Pillar Search & HR Consulting.
Title: Chief Digital Officer
Reports to: Greg Baldwin, CEO
Location: Oakland, CA or remote within the U.S.
VolunteerMatch creates better ways to put time and talent to good use. As the web’s largest volunteer engagement network, serving over 130,000 participating nonprofits, 150 corporate network partners, and 13 million annual visitors, VolunteerMatch offers unique, ware-winning solutions for individuals, nonprofits, and companies to make this vision a reality.
Since launching in 1998, VolunteerMatch has helped the social sector attract more than $14 billion worth of volunteer services. Today, they are joining with other leaders to advance a cross-sector collaboration that is transforming what citizenship looks like in he digital age with an Open Network API strategy and vision for a universal platform strengthening the ethos and impact of volunteering at massive scale.
VolunteerMatch by the numbers:
- 13MM annual visitors
- 130,000 nonprofit partners
- 150+ corporate partners
- Opportunities in 85 countries
- 16 MM volunteers connected
Based in Oakland, and employing talented team members around the country, VolunteerMatch’s 24 employees are passionate, collegial, and deeply committed to the organization’s mission.
About the Chief Digital Officer
VolunteerMatch is looking for an experienced technology leader with API experience. The goal of this new position is to work in collaboration with the Chief Solutions Officer to accelerate the digital transformation of VolunteerMatch and amplify the successful execution of its strategic plans. VolunteerMatch is embarking on a significant digital transformation and leaning into a future where they can rethink and reimagine their digital solutions.
Working closely with the Chief Solutions Officer, the role will help plan, build, and deliver the best possible experiences for customers and subsequent value for the company through its technology products and API services. The Chief Digital Officer can create and articulate a vision and will be responsible for shaping and operationalizing the organization’s product and engineering roadmap and infrastructure. The Chief Digital Officer will facilitate cross-functional alignment from the perspective of product and engineering to advance the organization’s strategic priorities, and will, as part of the executive team, meet with prospective and current for-profit and nonprofit partners to amplify the vision, impact, and reach of VolunteerMatch. The Chief Digital Officer is a key member of VolunteerMatch’s leadership team, along with the CEO and the Chief Solutions Officer.
● Work in partnership with the Chief Solutions Officer to develop, design, integrate, and deliver technology solutions to achieve VolunteerMatch’s strategy
● Lead and manage the product and engineering teams, which are oriented to revenue-generating API services, and align product and technology to organizational strategy and priorities. This includes:
-Create and manage to KPI’s for the product and engineering teams
-Directly manage the senior team members of the product and engineering functions, with additional possible people management responsibilities
-Provide support, direction and accountability for the product and engineering teams in the creation and execution of defined business and strategic priorities
● Assess current approach with a future focus so that any updates or changes align with mission and with the business, strategy, and market needs
● Create, adapt and implement product and engineering solutions informed by best-in-class strategic platform and digital ecosystem thinking
● Identify what technologies can be used to improve the company’s products and services
● Identify and evaluate, in partnership with the Chief Solutions Officer, emerging technologies or industry innovations that may impact the organization’s value proposition
● Drive an organizational mindset to seek out and use stakeholder feedback to continually improve VolunteerMatch’s products and services, and ensure accountability to this standard
● Lead and manage product innovations that deliver sustainable value to the business
● In partnership with the Chief Solutions Officer, facilitate cross-functional alignment of the product and engineering teams with execution of the organization’s strategic priorities
● Communicate with employees, stakeholders, customers and investors to ensure that our technical vision and direction is clearly understood, and that the vision is generating excitement for the changes and a sense of possibility
● Ensure that VolunteerMatch is in compliance with security and privacy requirements as well
as sensitive digital information (e.g. GDPR compliance), and manage policies and procedures related to the use of our technology for both employees and customers
● Work with the finance function and direct reports to develop and track the annual budget for
the product and engineering teams
● Demonstrated experience designing, building and supporting successful revenue-generating API services is a must!
● The Chief Digital Officer will be deeply committed to developing technology solutions that address social needs
● Demonstrated knowledge, skills and experience with design thinking and lean start-up methodologies, commitment to innovation and out-of-the-box thinking
● As a member of the senior leadership team, the Chief Digital Officer will be strategic, a visionary thinker with strong business acumen, an insatiable sense of curiosity, has a need for constantly
making things better, makes decisions that are data-driven and in alignment with the mission, and a track record of translating innovative ideas into action
● Demonstrated people management skills and the ability to positively motivate a team with a sense of urgency through KPI’s. Proven ability to build and manage diverse and inclusive teams
● Exceptional communication skills, and the ability to communicate with and influence a variety of stakeholders
● Experience in product management and product development lifecycles, with a history of using customer feedback, data and analytics to inform innovation and growth
● A personal passion for continuous learning, particularly around technology trends
● A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or another relevant field, or equivalent work experience. An MBA or similar field of study would be an asset.
Excited to Make a Difference with VolunteerMatch?
VolunteerMatch has partnered with Pillar Search & HR Consulting on the Chief Digital Officer search. Please submit your resume and cover letter in confidence to Cindy Joyce, Founder of Pillar Search & HR Consulting.
VolunteerMatch is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws.