COMPANY: 421 Group, a California consultancy that offers strategic public affairs and operational support services to help cannabis businesses navigate the legal market.
STATUS: Hourly, non-exempt. 32-40 hours per week
COMPENSATION: $24-$29/hr, DOE. Eligible after a probationary period for 50% company-paid health benefits for employee and dependents, plus annual accrual of up to two weeks vacation and 6 sick days.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: The Copywriter’s main job function is to draft, refine, and finalize documents for public, private, and professional use. They also act as a research lead for 421 Group and our affiliates, gathering and organizing information both for reports and informed internal decision making. Additionally, as with all team roles, this person is an important administrator and representative to our Clients and to the community as a whole.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to and receives primary direction from the Client Services Manager, with additional direction from the Executive Team.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Take the primary role in writing and refining a broad spectrum of document types, including
- Project narratives for conditional use permit applications
- Status reports
- Community Benefits reports
- Opportunity assessments and feasibility reports
- Survey analyses
- Press releases
- Talking points for business owners and community leaders
- Promotional materials
- Bios and public-facing profiles
- Employee communications
- Public newsletters
- Investor reports
- Identify optimal positioning and context for public affairs content to support 421 Group and Client goals in the context of dynamic, real-time influences and events.
- Track and assemble large-scale, collaborative documents such as applications and major reports.
- Organize material and complete writing assignments according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Edit, standardize, and incorporate material prepared by others.
- Prepare documents for print and web layout, including selection of images, infographics, and brand elements.
- Coordinate design, duplication, and distribution of materials.
- Review published materials and recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, content, and methods of reproduction and binding as needed.
- Communicate and collaborate directly with Clients and public officials on writing assignments.
- Recommend changes and general improvements to Style Guide as well as methods of creative collaboration.
- Prepare weekly Jurisdiction Report outlining relevant Planning Commission, Council, Board, and other meetings of governmental agencies.
- Collect and organize data pertaining to private and public endeavors through surveys, internet research, and interviews.
- Develop and maintain spreadsheets for a variety of uses, utilizing formulas and statistical analysis methods to clearly and efficiently convey data.
- Researching market conditions and competitive activities, political climate in new jurisdictions, conducting property and location searches, and extracting regulatory details and prepared reports.
- Interview appropriate outside personnel, read journals and other material to become familiar with relevant local and state regulations, product technologies and production methods, follow industry trends, and to refine copy-writing.
- Communicate with Clients and other stakeholders in a professional and effective manner.
- Maintain orderly records and workflow documents in Google Drive, including files that are highly confidential in nature.
- Contribute to and observe a team calendar that will be utilized daily by teammates, Clients, and contractors.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with representatives of community, consumer, employee, and public interest groups.
- Support Clients in meetings to review their projects; tracking goals, actions, ideas, questions, decisions, and deliverables.
- Convey assignments to team members and follow up on deadlines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Communication: Excellent command of English, spoken and written. Ability to proofread, draft new correspondence and procedural writing from scratch; adapt language to various speakers, styles, settings, and tone. Get to know several teams and their interdependencies, quickly understand relationships and appropriate interaction for each group/individual.
Professional Demeanor: Take on work in a collegial, collaborative, open, and friendly way. Ability to establish rapport and form great relationships with internal and external team members across multiple organizations and communities.Arrives on time, ready to work, every day. Communicates frequently and clearly. Meets deadlines or informs in advance of delays. Performs consistently well. Strive for extraordinary accuracy in correspondence, data management; paying careful attention to detail from initial planning to execution and follow-up. Positive energy and creative thinking. Easy going, confident, comfortable. Approaches problem-solving with an open mind, not with drama. Be willing to learn new skills.
Workflow Management: Be functionally organized, toggling comfortably between digital and physical file systems. Recognize what’s most important to tackle, in what order, and be prepared to make informed, independent decisions. Able to take direction from multiple sources. Able to anticipate what should happen next, and be proactive in planning for it. What might someone need? What’s the contingency plan? Are there additional steps that can be taken to ensure completion of the greater objective? This role requires a tenacious spirit and a self-starting attitude. Able to see the whole system, understand the complexity of a situation and the magnitude of the inter-dependencies. Use good judgment in escalating issues.
Confidentiality: Maintain strictest confidentiality at all times - avoiding direct and indirect disclosure. Discretion is key due to exposure to financial data and executive-level conversations.
TECHNOLOGY & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Computer & Devices: Highly functional on modern computers, smart phones, and other connected devices.
- Typing: 60 WPM or faster, accurately.
- Google Apps: “Power User” of Google Apps, including Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and security and sharing knowledge. Able to manage multiple Google Apps email accounts.
- Spreadsheets & Databases: High level of proficiency using spreadsheets for both data management and process management, exhibiting comfort and efficiency in building from scratch and elaborating to perfection.
- Project Management Software: Comfortable communicating on projects using all manner of tools available.
- Adobe Acrobat: Able to edit PDFs, combine PDFs, print as PDF, troubleshoot quality issues.
- Internet Research: Must be an internet-research expert, savvy at finding all manner of information efficiently and able to validate the reliability of the source.
- Culture match: Support the mission and spirit of the organization.
- Utility Access: Must have a fast and reliable internet and phone connection from your home or office. We work remote, and plan to for the foreseeable future.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Four-year degree preferred.
- 4 years of relevant experience required.
- Must be at least 21 years old, and pass a criminal background check.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work may require prolonged standing, sitting, some bending, stooping, and stretching.
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment.
- Requires normal range of hearing.
- Requires close vision, with the ability to see color and adjust focus.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Work is conducted remotely for the foreseeable future. A company issued laptop is provided. Cell phone and home internet stipends are provided, as well as any materials and supplies required to conduct work. You must have access to reliable internet and cell phone service during normal business hours. This stipend shall cease should we determine the need to create a centralized work-office environment.
- Some in-person meetings may occur in private and public settings. All Covid safety protocols will be followed and enforced.
- Work is high energy and fast-paced, and, due to the nature of the work and the regulatory landscape, is often either very exciting or highly stressful, depending on one's perspective.
- Position requires regular availability to be scheduled for work during normal office hours which are Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5pm, plus occasional nights, weekends, holidays, and/or events. Shifts of 6 hours or more will include a 30-60 minute unpaid meal break and duty free ten minute breaks per labor law recommendations.
- May require some travel.
421 Group is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $24.00 - $29.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
All work is currently remote, and will remain for the foreseeable future. In the rare case of in person interactions, all COVID-19 safety precautions will behappily observed, including face coverings, maintaining personal distance, and symptom screenings.
- Unfortunately, due to California cannabis laws and our insurance policy, we can only employ individuals that reside within the state of California. Do you currently reside within the state of California or would you be able to self-relocate to California within the next two weeks? (If no, we will be unable to consider your application.)
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Copywriting: 4 years (Preferred)
- Civic/Public Affairs: 1 year (Preferred)
- Cannabis Industry: 1 year (Preferred)
- Fully Remote
Company's Facebook page:
- Waiting period may apply
- Remote interview process
- Virtual meetings