Associate, Client Services
Aperio Philanthropy is a fundraising consulting firm that partners with nonprofits to realize their fundraising potential. We provide hands-on support that generates sustainable revenue growth and enables organizations to thrive.
Aperio was created for fundraisers by fundraisers. Every member of our team has successfully raised funds at leading nonprofits nationwide. With on-the-ground experience, we understand that the barrier to growth is rarely knowing what to do but rather how to get it done among competing priorities.
To simplify the path to growth, we’ve distilled proven approaches into a clear roadmap that any nonprofit can follow. Our services accelerate progress along that roadmap—unlocking new revenue at every step. We’re savvy strategists, but more importantly, we go beyond great ideas and work alongside fundraising teams to implement them.
The result is new, sustainable revenue for the missions that are changing our world.
Every member of our team was drawn to Aperio by a craving to see nonprofits thrive—to escape the toxic ‘survival mode’ that holds back so many important missions and harms clients, staff, volunteers, and donors alike. We believe that nonprofits are vital to our society—that to create thriving communities, we need thriving nonprofits.
About our team
We believe that for any community, organization, or company to thrive, every individual in the community must have the space, resources, and support to thrive. For that reason, we work intentionally every day to create an environment with ample space for creativity, exploration, professional growth, and personal expression. We actively invest in anti-racism and anti-discrimination in our own company and our sector.
Our culture is relentlessly professional and rigorous, but simultaneously open and warm. We are collaborative, give each other honest feedback, and don’t micromanage each other. We engage each other, our clients, and our community members as people first, ensuring that we are supporting each other’s whole selves, not just the work at hand.
We value the combined power of:
We believe that with a clear goal, a fresh set of eyes, a little bit of organization, and an infusion of confidence, every organization can be propelled to a new level of impact.
You are inspired by what you’ve just read and driven to contribute what you’ve learned from on-the-ground fundraising to our vision of seeing nonprofits thrive. You believe that fundraising changes the lives of all involved—those served by the mission, the donors who fuel the work, and volunteers and staff.
You are adept at understanding people’s personal needs and motivations and uncovering alignment with your own objectives. You create win-win partnerships that leave people more confident and more capable of impact. You are ambitious on behalf of important causes, with a genuine desire to change the world.
You are authentic in your interactions with others. You build trust easily, communicate clearly, listen actively, ask good questions, and inspire loyalty. You maintain the highest standards of integrity at every step of the way.
You are creative and solution-oriented, open to the ideas of others and quick to drive conversations toward new possibilities and next steps. Everywhere you look, you see opportunities to change the world.
About the role
The Associate, Client Services serves as a leader in the nonprofit community, inspiring and supporting nonprofits to realize their full fundraising potential. About 80% of the Associate’s time is spent supporting a portfolio of clients, in partnership with other Aperio team members. About 20% of time is spent on business development, serving as a thought leader in the community and proactively building relationships with a portfolio of prospective clients, referral sources, and other nonprofit leaders and fundraisers.
Client services responsibilities (80%)
The Associate, Client Services supports our team of Client Services Directors in providing thought partnership and hands-on support to a portfolio of nonprofit clients. In every project, the Associate will position clients for sustainable revenue growth and fulfill client objectives. To that end, the Associate will:
- Adopt a client-centric approach
- Continually seek to understand each client’s values, objectives, and expectations
- Leverage the Aperio approach of results-orientation, creativity, simplicity, and authenticity to create value for clients
- Support Directors in mapping out a concrete, actionable project plan for strategies and Aperio deliverables
- Track and monitor action steps in Asana for Directors, team members, clients, and self
- Serve as the day-to-day leader on moving action steps forward, providing reminders to Aperio staff and clients, when needed
- Produce meeting agendas
- Take comprehensive notes during meetings to ensure strategies and ideas are captured and can move forward
- Complete substantive portions of projects for clients to lessen the burden on staff
- Seamlessly blend into the culture and workstyle of the client, building trust and working partnerships with a variety of stakeholders
- Use all available Aperio resources—expertise, experience, templates, tools, etc.—to seamlessly and efficiently advance project plans
- Contribute resources to the Aperio library through client work
- Contribute to Aperio’s efforts to fight racism and discrimination through client services
- Leverage the time, expertise, and experience of Aperio’s Expert Network to increase value for clients and accelerate service delivery
Direct project support varies by client. It can include, but is not limited to:
- Conducting assessments
- Producing reports summarizing assessment findings, recommendations, and strategies
- Interpreting data analyses
- Creating major gift, foundation, and corporate portfolios
- Supporting clean-up and SOP-development for databases and operational processes
- Creating governance models, dashboards, and trainings to implement/enhance metrics management
- Conducting moves management strategy sessions
- Preparing plans and materials for donor calls, meetings, and solicitations
- Creating fundraising toolkits
- Engaging leadership and boards in philanthropy
- Conducting qualification outreach to donors (emails, phone calls, meetings, etc.) for ad hoc donor lists or a defined qualification portfolio
- Developing and writing collateral
- Developing and writing custom proposals and stewardship reports
- Facilitating workshops
- Providing 1:1 coaching
Business development responsibilities (20%)
The Associate, Client Services serves as an ambassador for Aperio in the community to grow Aperio’s client portfolio and support nonprofits broadly in their efforts to thrive. The Associate builds and engages a targeted portfolio of prospective clients, referral sources, and other key relationships. In addition, the Associate educates, equips, and inspires other nonprofit leaders and fundraisers about what it takes to thrive. To fulfill this role, the Associate will:
- Build and engage a portfolio of 25-50 strategic relationships, sourced from personal networks and cold outreach
- Actively network to grow and strengthen the portfolio, achieving monthly activity metrics
- Leverage portfolio engagement resources provided, such as templates, scripts, segmented lists, and cold outreach prospect lists
- Approach conversations with curiosity to learn from experience on the ground
- Contribute to Aperio’s efforts to fight racism and discrimination, especially in nonprofits, fundraising, and philanthropy
- Present/facilitate and participate in conferences, workshops, and webinars hosted by Aperio and other industry groups
- Create articles and videos that educate, equip, and inspire nonprofit leaders and fundraisers
- Promote and engage with Aperio content across social media channels
- 3+ years experience in fundraising, ideally including experience focusing full-time on relationship-based fundraising (major gifts, foundations, or corporate partnerships)
- Experience soliciting $10,000+ gifts
- Ability to ‘manage up’
- Experience supporting leadership on donor relationships and/or projects
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Superb relationship management, interpersonal, and communication (written and oral) skills
- Experience managing projects to successful completion
- Outstanding organizational and time-management skills and ability
- Strong understanding of technology systems pertinent to major gifts (Salesforce and Raiser’s Edge a plus)
- Openness to the ever-changing, dynamic environment of a start-up company
- Eagerness to learn new knowledge and skills
- Ability to travel for assignments, as needed, up to 50% of time
This role combines remote work-from-home and on-site client support requirements, which can vary by project from no onsite support to daily support.
To facilitate work-from-home, Aperio provides essential technology equipment and:
- A $250 home office set-up stipend at 90 days
- A monthly mobile phone reimbursement of $75 per month
Preference will be given to candidates based in Aperio’s hometowns of New York, NY and Kansas City, MO.