The Forefront Project is seeking a Staff Attorney to work collaboratively with the Project Director to meet the legal compliance needs of nonprofit organizations that advocate to advance and defend reproductive rights, health, and justice.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Provide legal assistance to reproductive rights, health, and justice (RRHJ) organizations—principally on issues of federal tax law for exempt organizations (especially law applicable to advocacy, including lobbying and election-related activity), federal, state, and local campaign finance and lobbying disclosure law, and occasionally other areas of law that impact nonprofit organizations—by email, videoconference, and phone.
- Develop and present trainings on legal issues relevant to RRHJ organizations.
- Draft factsheets explaining legal issues in an approachable manner.
- Conduct outreach to RRHJ organizations to explain the Project and gather information about how we can be most helpful to groups in the space.
- Build strong working relationships with RRHJ organizations and others, including outside attorneys who specialize in laws not practiced by The Forefront Project.
- Collaborate with the Project Director to identify the legal compliance needs of RRHJ organizations and strategize on how to meet them, and to assess Project effectiveness and inform how it should develop.
- Travel within the U.S. to provide legal assistance to RRHJ organizations and participate at conferences and other convenings (public health conditions permitting).
- Review and respond to emails, draft and save notes from calls, schedule and set up webinars, complete timesheets and other administrative tasks.
Strongly Preferred Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bar membership (no particular state required)
- At least two years of experience as an attorney (more experienced applicants are encouraged to apply)
- Experience working on legal issues related to tax exempt organizations and advocacy activity
- Commitment to supporting reproductive rights, health, and justice
- Strong communication and public speaking skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to self start
- Ability to foster strong working relationships