At Only One, our purpose is to turn the tide on ocean conservation by connecting people to urgent environmental issues and the communities affected by them, while identifying clear steps that will drive significant change. The content on our platform focuses on amplifying stories and campaigns that sit at the intersection of ocean health and social justice. We want to redistribute power by making the space we have available to a diverse group of storytellers and activists, prioritizing those whose experiences and narratives are marginalized and whose campaigns could use broad grassroots support to achieve meaningful impact.
The Only One Collective, the platform’s parent organization, was first established in 2019, and today the organization has twenty full-time employees, across product, design, content, engagement. By partnering with other changemakers in the space, Only One will support innovative solutions that strengthen marine ecosystems and the communities that depend on them most.
The platform launched in September 2020. It has a sizable existing community, including 10M followers across social media channels, an email list of ~300K, and The Tide, a growing community of ~4K monthly donors committed to supporting ocean solutions.
The Role: Editorial Director
Only One seeks an Editorial Director to develop and implement a vision for the platform’s editorial direction and storytelling approach, and in particular to determine which stories and voices Only One should share on the platform. The Editorial Director will...
- Set the course for the platform’s story and content priorities, grounded in two critical values: (1) Elevating stories focused on the intersection of people and the environment, featuring a broad diversity of storytellers and types of storytelling and (2) connecting back to meaningful outcomes and milestones around ocean health and social justice.
- Play a key leadership role in guiding the development of the platform, recognizing its success relies on excellence in editorial content production as well as product design and development. The Editorial Director will work closely with senior staff in all of these areas, and the team will work together to build a platform that draws on innovation in both publishing and product development.
- Develop and oversee execution of a content/production approach that includes producing original content, funding co-productions, and elevating the voices of storytellers, with a particular focus on the diverse voices of storytellers from around the world.
- Determine the appropriate cadence for content release and launch. Decide what content is launched when, and on what schedule.
- Lead the team responsible for fact-checking and vetting of all content and partnerships. Supervise contributor relationships.
- Act as creative lead on strategic partner and brand collaborations.
The Editorial Director is a visionary, dynamic, and connected leader, with experience in diverse movement work and relationships with activists in networks around the world. They are an exceptional creative strategist, with a deep knowledge of communications and storytelling. They understand what types of content will resonate with different segments of a diverse audience and will grow engagement over time. They must be adept at building team consensus behind the best ideas. They should have successful experience working to dismantle systemic and racial inequity, and to create systems of change to end climate and environmental impacts. They are preferably someone who has experience at the intersection of content development and technology. A passion for climate and environmental justice and the oceans is important, even if their professional experience has not been in that space.
The Editorial Director is...
- A visionary about what storytelling is possible, what partnerships are possible, and what impact is possible.
- They are adept at idea generation in relation to our conservation milestones and campaigns and are able to drive achievement against a set of outcome measures.
- They are also able to recognize great ideas that might sit outside their skillset but will invite new people and new perspectives onto the platform.
- A thoughtful manager of storytellers, producers, editors, and creators.
- Committed to seeking out a diverse group of storytellers to highlight on the platform.
- Skilled at navigating the (sometimes competing, often value-added) complexities of building an editorial operation for a start-up technology product.
- Committed to placing issues of environmental and climate justice at the forefront of ocean conservation efforts.
- Preferably well-connected to the activists and thought leaders in the ocean conservation space, especially those doing work in their local communities, with a respected point of view on how to create meaningful change in that sphere.
- Nimble enough to help Only One hit its content cadence goals.
- Conversant in SEO/data analysis in order to drive consumer engagement.
This is a full-time position with the opportunity to work remotely.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Fully remote work set up to allow flexibility for your own working style
- Stipends for personal learning developments as well as home office set-up
- Competitive salary + benefits
- 3+ weeks guaranteed PTO
- Unique opportunities for you to spend time in the field (or the ocean!) with our incredible storytellers