About This Position
We’re looking for a freelance copywriter to help us tell the story of Ellevest across our marketing website, app, emails, social channels, and advertising. Ellevest was built by women, for women because the financial industry wasn’t. (In other words, we’re interesting.) You’ll make financial decisions feel easy, irresistible, and powerfully rewarding. You’ll tell stories that shine a light on the money inequalities women face, in a way that encourages positive action. You’ll craft messages that drive conversion and growth. You’ll write in a voice that’s informative and approachable — but not frivolous or condescending. You’ll always, always be “by women, for women,” but never, ever “shrinked and pinked.” And you won’t be afraid to get candid and tell it like it is. Whatever the task, your prime directive will be to make sure the Ellevest story is clear and super-engaging: compelling, encouraging, smart, accessible, and consistently told.
This is a part-time opportunity on our remote team.
- Work closely with the Growth, Brand, and Creative teams from conceptualization through iteration to create irresistible copy that communicates the Ellevest brand, value proposition, and experience
- Participate enthusiastically in creative meetings to develop original messaging concepts and new creative solutions that maximize growth and uphold the brand
- Think strategically about how each message communicates an idea, evokes an emotion, and encourages an action
- Collaborate closely with our designers to elevate the brand across materials and platforms
- Bring your full efforts to each marketing message so that it’s best in class: arresting, engaging, and deeply rewarding
- Write and help strategize direct-response emails and product announcements that stand out in any inbox and deliver information concisely
- Craft and help strategize advertising copy that arrests, intrigues, and/or delights … and converts
- Write and help strategize brand copy that hooks into an emotional need, clearly communicates the value proposition and brings the user further into the Ellevest experience with extreme brevity, clarity, and wit
- Regularly audit marketing messaging for freshness, consistency, appropriates to target markets, and conversion performance, helping evolve brand identity and voice as the company evolves
- Be a swiper, a swotter, and a trendspotter, researching and staying aware of growth strategies, the consumer calendar, pop culture, the competitive landscape, best-in-class creative, and advertising trends
- Copywriting experience working at an agency, startup, or as part of an in-house creative team
- A strong digital background across a variety of channels, particularly direct response and ad copywriting, with an impressive portfolio to prove it
- Demonstrated skill turning complex ideas, market research, and data into persuasive, informative, and clear brand language and stories that drive substantial growth and conversion
- A snappy writer, able to write in a smart, clear, approachable, and fun voice — think finance meets feminism and women’s lifestyle
- Proficiency adapting that voice across various platforms, uses, and audiences without losing the brand
- Proficiency with A/B testing, and user testing, and the creative iterative process
- Financial writing experience a huge plus
- Ability to move quickly from concept to whiteboard to execution
- Openness to receiving feedback and having your opinions challenged
- Exceptional grammar, copy editing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills
- Self-startership in prioritizing projects, communicating progress, and delivering on time
- The desire to work in an unstructured, fast-moving and constantly evolving high-growth environment
- Passion for our mission
Ellevest was built with a mission to get more money in the hands of women+. With a money membership that gives access to investing, banking, learning, and coaching and a private wealth management service, Ellevest helps women+ take control of their financial futures.
Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck. Sallie is chair of the Ellevate Network and author of “Own It: The Power of Women at Work.” She previously worked as CEO of Smith Barney and Merrill Lynch Wealth Management and as CFO of Citi. Ellevest has raised $70MM from investors including Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, and Venus Williams.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest was founded in New York City, with a thriving team across our engineering, product, marketing, client experience, investments, and operations organizations working throughout the U.S.
We place a major emphasis on building a team and working environment where people can succeed professionally and personally. As a team member at Ellevest, you can expect to make a difference through your work, to have a direct impact on the achievement of a very meaningful mission, to significantly advance your career trajectory, and to have room for fun and fulfillment in your daily life. We know that achieving a mission as critical as ours requires incredible talent and teamwork, and team is the most important thing to us.
In 2019, Ellevest was named as one of LinkedIn’s 50 Hottest Companies to Work For and earned a spot on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list of “start-ups on the cutting edge of huge consumer, tech, and business shifts” — both for the second year in a row. In 2017, Ellevest was named one of Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Ideas, and CNBC listed Ellevest as one of their Top 25 Most Promising Start-ups on a path to becoming tomorrow’s household names.” We are working every day to make this a reality and to create a brand and a service that helps women reach financial equality.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.