Senior Backend Engineer
Headquarters: SF Bay Area
You are a self-starter with a bias for action, and you can take projects from start to finish. You want to work as part of a small, tightly-knit team that moves quickly and pushes changes to production many times a day. You are motivated by building tools that accelerate the pace of R&D in the life sciences.
Why QuartzyQuartzy helps 400,000+ scientists worldwide cure diseases faster. We are proud to be the world’s #1 lab management platform. Our software combines inventory management and Amazon-like purchasing, which produces a unique value in the $180B research market. Our customers range from top medical schools to cancer therapeutics companies, and we are humbled every day to be serving them, so they can serve humanity by curing diseases such as diabetes, ALS, and cancer, and COVID-19. Now, more than ever, the world is beginning to see the importance of life science research, and we are proud to be doing our part in the scientific community.
What you'll do
- Build out backend infrastructure to support a mobile presence in the lab.
- Design and implement new functionality for researchers from the ground up.
- Work closely with your team to design and develop a robust REST API.
- Measure and improve site performance and scalability.
- Write well-tested code that is resilient to heavy iteration.
What we're looking for
- Demonstrable experience writing clean, thoughtfully crafted PHP that scales.
- Experience with other parts of our technology stack: MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, Beanstalkd, RabbitMQ, nginx, Git.
- The ability and desire to own projects that directly impact Quartzy's bottom line.
- An entrepreneurial attitude that enables you to get high-quality projects done quickly.
- A strong communicator. You write well and can easily explain complex technical concepts to non-technical people.
What we'd love
- Experience implementing customer-facing, third-party SaaS integrations.
- Experience transitioning REST APIs into modern GraphQL endpoints.
- Familiarity with asynchronous worker queues.
- Experience working in a dynamic startup environment.
- Occasionally, you end the day with more lines of code removed than added; and that feels great.
What we offer
- Competitive salary with a full benefits package (medical, dental, vision, and more).
- Assistance with your home office set-up for a productive environment.
- A fully remote engineering team in a company that embraces the strengths of distributed work.
- An inclusive Quarrior community - work alongside other smart, passionate, and quirky people.
- Want to see what other people are saying about us? Take a look at our .