General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Technical Writer in our Electromagnetic Systems (EMS) Group located in Rancho Bernardo, CA. Under general supervision, this position is responsible for researching and utilizing an interrelational/relationship database for writing remove/installation maintenance procedures; documenting and developing detailed operator, troubleshooting procedures, checklists, technical specifications, alert bulletins, training materials; and other procedures and reports. This position requires some planning and scheduling, and leads efforts of a small-medium sized team to complete a project. May represent the organization as a primary contact on contracts and projects, and may provide direction and training to other staff members.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Researching and utilizing an interrelation/relationship database for writing remove/installation maintenance procedures; documenting and developing detailed operator, troubleshooting procedures, checklists, technical specifications, alert bulletins, training materials; and other procedures and reports.
- Collects and accumulates appropriate technical information through researching and analyzing technical data and publications, engineering drawings, test procedures, design specifications/documentation, software description documents, engineering documents and by interviewing technical experts.
- Ensures documents are developed in accordance with the requested specifications and contractual requirements, including development of any necessary illustrations, photographs, or other graphic representations.
- Ensures final materials clearly and effectively communicate the technical information and data to appropriate audiences.
- Ensures accuracy of documents. Corrects technical and editorial errors and may participate in rewrites as necessary.
- Coordinates technical reviews and approval signatures, which may include appropriate security classification prior to document distribution.
- Participates in developing and recommending new and/or modifications to documentation/communication policies and procedures.
- Presents document(s) to program management staff, makes related presentations, and assists in the document security classification process. Plans, schedules, coordinates and leads efforts of small-medium sized teams to complete projects.
- May represent the organization as a primary contact on contracts and projects.
- May provide direction and training to other staff members.
- Work with interactive electronic technical manuals (IETM) and publications; S1000D version 3.0+ and MIL-SPECs.
- Work with SGML/XML-type technical documentation.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations, and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company. Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating practices and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.