At, we identify scientific bottlenecks that, if eliminated, could unlock major advances in human health, climate change, biosecurity, and economic growth. We are interested in building platform technologies that are able to broadly accelerate entire fields of research by removing these bottlenecks.
Convergent Research is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that incubates and launches(FROs).
With the growing complexity of our internal operations and support of FROs, we are looking to grow our internal finance and accounting team. Reporting to the Controller, the Finance Manager will help continue the work to build our support infrastructure to ensure we maintain scalability, offer dynamic support, and maintain adherence to internal controls and best practices.
Please submit your resume and cover letter telling us why you'd rock this position! Applications without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
You are (skills)
- An experienced nonprofit accountant. You know your debits from your credits, enjoy allocations, have experience with a variety of funding sources including government grants, and get a kick out of reconciliations.
- Detail oriented. You sweat the details, but don’t get hung up on immaterial ones. You know when it’s appropriate to push back for compliance or GAAP sake.
- A systems guru. You enjoy working with multiple systems and have a firm grasp of fund accounting systems. You know when to ask for systems help too!
- A team player. You will need to collaborate closely with a lot of folks - internal operations team, FROs and funders. You can talk accounting with non-accounting minds and don’t shy away from proactive engagement.
- Dynamic. A great juggler. Startups move at a fast-pace and you are able to change priorities and handle multiple tasks at once without blinking. Actual juggling is always a plus.
You will (duties)
- Oversee AP/AR. You will oversee the outsourced accounting firm's handling of all AP and AR transactions with a special eye on accuracy and compliance.
- Improve close processes. You will help us evaluate and improve efficiency and timeliness of monthly, quarterly, and annual close processes. You will also document these workflows and ensure compliance.
- Help with financial reporting. As first line reviewer of system-generated reports, you will review for relevancy, consistency, and completeness and propose modifications to ensure users have the financial tools they need for decision-making.
- Prep for audit. Your role will ensure all schedules are completed accurately and on time. In addition, you will help to build out an internal audit function.
- Lead fiscal grant reporting. You will take the lead on fiscal reporting for all grants. This requires you to love deadlines and ensure that our systems are set up to enable efficient reporting.
- Document and comply with policies & procedures. You’ll manage finance and accounting SOPs and ensure compliance with adopted policies and procedures. You’ll also look for ways to make improvements, stay abreast of best practices, and be open to modifications.
- Attend quarterly team meetings. Our team meets off-site for a week once every 3 months to set goals, collaborate, and participate in fun team-building activities!
In 6 months you will have (6 month goals)
- Learned a lot. We’ll get you up to date on who we are, what we do and you’ll deep dive into all accounting systems.
- Assisted with our first external audit. It’s our first year (+ 6 months) of an external audit. An 18-month audit doesn’t scare you, and you’ll help ensure we meet our deadlines and learn from the process to improve our internal controls.
Convergent Research aims to help fill a structural gap in today's R&D system. We enable fundamental research that requires unusual levels of scale and coordination yet is not rapidly monetizable by industry. We’re bringing together top talent from academia, industry, and startups to build a new model for innovative R&D. As an incubator within the Schmidt Futures Network, we identify high-impact scientific or technical research and development opportunities, ultimately defining and launching these projects as Focused Research Organizations.
Convergent Research, LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law or Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.