Amref Health Africa in the USA seeks a Manager, Communications. Reporting to the Director, Development & Communications, this person will be responsible for implementing strategies for all external and internal communications and events marketing, as well as providing graphic design skills for all digital and print materials. The ability to multi-task and be flexible with changing priorities is essential to the success of this position. The ideal candidate for this job will operate effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
Amref Health Africa (Amref)
The Amref Health Africa (Amref) in the USA office raises awareness and critically needed funds for our work in Africa. In 2021, 92% of our funds raised went directly toward programming. Amref USA is a 501(C)(3) organization with eight employees and an annual budget of $12mm.
With headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, Amref Health Africa is the largest Africa-based healthcare
nonprofit, serving millions of people every year across 35 countries in sub-Saharan Africa. Amref Health Africa began on the continent as the Flying Doctors, bringing surgical services to remote communities using light aircraft.
Our priorities have since expanded to strengthen health systems and train African health workers to respond to the continent’s most critical health challenges. Our approach is community-based and makes the people we reach partners rather than just beneficiaries. Over 97% of our global staff are Africans, so we are always tackling African challenges with African expertise.
Please visit amrefusa.org for more information.
THE DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT
Our team raises unrestricted funds to strengthen health systems and train African health workers by designing and executing philanthropic partnerships with individuals and foundations. This year, we aim to raise over $2.1mm to strengthen health systems and train African health workers through creative, collaborative partnerships with individuals. Communications plays a key role in raising funds and brand awareness.
· With support and direction from the Director, Development & Communications, develop, coordinate, lead, and implement a communications strategy and work plan that includes the curation, production, and dissemination of internal and external content via web, social media, print and other marketing channels (including text, graphics, and videos).
· Write, design, and manage production vendors (where applicable) for Amref marketing materials, including direct mail, annual reports, one-pagers, presentation decks for potential partners and donors, annual newsletters, and updates.
· Write, design, and manage all marketing emails including the monthly e-Newsletter, informational blasts, and online fundraising appeals sent through Mailchimp and online fundraising campaigns using the Classy platform.
· Manage social media accounts by developing and executing social campaigns for key days, themes, and upcoming events. Manage social editorial calendar, creating and curating themes and posts and digital design assets accordingly.
· Ensure the consistency of brand messaging internally and externally.
· Lead digital content marketing strategy, including conceptualizing, planning, creating, placing, and repackaging content to build awareness, drive engagement, and improve conversation with audiences such as existing supporters, activists, donors, and influencers, etc.
· Regularly monitor performance across all channels (including social and web analytics), suggesting tactical adjustments as necessary and providing weekly, monthly, and annual reports.
· Maintain, generate, and post regular content and updates to our website. Work with website developer to update and ensure proper hosting, accounts, and services.
· Assist with event preparation, including the design of creative assets, mailings, printed event materials, and more.
· Provide general onsite event support.
General Administrative Support
· Monitor the organization’s general email box, route requests to appropriate staff, and take initiative to handle elementary requests.
· Maintain communication with marketing-related vendors including ordering printed materials as needed.
WHO YOU ARE
· Minimum of four years of experience in a mid-level or higher communications role, ideally in a nonprofit or NGO setting.
· Strong commitment to Amref’s mission, vision, values, and beliefs, including a deep commitment to creating an inclusive environment for all colleagues.
· High degree of flexibility and ability to problem solve. A “roll up your sleeves and do what’s needed” attitude.
· Exceptional writing and editorial skills with high attention to detail and understanding of voice, nuance, brevity, and audience.
· Exemplary project management skills with the ability to lead multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
· Experience with vendor and consultant management.
· Strong user abilities in graphic design and email marketing software/platforms, preferably MailChimp and Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.)
· Experience in the management and implementation of graphic design and creating printed pieces such as invitations, collateral, brochures, newsletters, and videos.
· Expertise and interest in managing different social media and networking sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.
· High level of proficiency using all Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
· You can work independently and as part of a team.
· You can operate at a professional level in intercultural and international contexts.
· Ability to edit photographic and video content.
· Knowledge of CRM processes and how it applies to the role and communication strategy.
· Familiarity with public health topics.
WORKPLACE and OTHER DETAILS
This is a remote role in the United States, with a preference for the tri-state area. Intermittent meetings in person should be expected.
Must be willing to occasionally take calls between 7am-9am EST to accommodate meetings in East Africa Time. Some nights and weekends may be occasionally required.
Amref USA is a fully vaccinated workplace and all new employees, regardless of their work location, will be asked to share proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 within two weeks of their hire date or request an exemption from this policy due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice.
The starting salary for this role is $72,000 + paid health benefits (medical, dental, vision), 403(b) match, Summer Fridays, amble vacation, and sick time.
Please submit your resume to, in a PDF, with the subject line “Manager, Communications application”. Only applications that follow these instructions will be considered.
A cover letter is optional, and may be addressed to the Director, Development & Communications.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in our application process, please let us know.
Amref USA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool. Additionally, we are a fair chance employer and welcome candidates with living experience with the criminal justice system.
The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed and is not intended to limit the scope of potential work assignments. This is only a summary of the typical functions of the job and duties may differ from those as outlined above.