Director Of People Operations and Human Resources
CareMessage is a mission-driven company that builds technology and solutions especially for safety-net healthcare organizations. With a core focus on health centers and free clinics, the CareMessage platform allows providers to communicate with patients at scale, prompting patients to action via technology products that are designed to create more equitable health outcomes. We enable organizations to use mobile messaging to fill gaps in care, provide education, remind patients of upcoming appointments, automate follow up for open referrals, and provide one-to-one communication.
Nationally, CareMessage is proud to work with over 400 customers in 43 states, comprising over 200 FQHCs, free and charitable clinics, and health plans and systems. Using CareMessage, safety-net organizations have reached over 10 million underserved patients with over 300 million text messages since 2013.
Founded in 2012 at Stanford University, CareMessage has raised over $35 million from , William K. Bowes Jr. Foundation, Pershing Square Foundation, Y Combinator, Schmidt Futures, , Direct Relief, Biogen, and many more.
Are you a strategic and forward-thinking leader with a passion for creating an exceptional workplace environment? Do you love driving organizational growth and nurturing talent to their fullest potential? The CareMessage team seeks a dynamic and experienced Director of People Operations and Human Resources to join our growing team.
In this role, you will be responsible for shaping an inclusive and equitable company culture, enhancing employee engagement and development, and collaborating with leadership and managers to develop strategies that champion diversity and inclusion while driving the business forward. You will be the subject-matter expert for all human resources-related activities, and implement initiatives and enforce policies for the same. You possess the highest level of integrity and ethical standards, and proactively embody our CARE values of Collaboration, Action, Results, and Empathy.
Within 1 Month, you’ll:
- Gain a foundational understanding of our business and team structures
- Meet all key internal leaders and begin to understand and assess our People policies and protocols, and company culture
- Establish relationships with key PEO business partners
- Learn and assume responsibility for basics of HR function, including payroll, benefits administration, and regulatory compliance
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Perform an assessment of our people policies and protocols, and work with COO to discuss preliminary findings and recommendations
- Define metrics and short-term strategy for People Operations and quarterly reports
- Oversee company-wide employee engagement and team-building initiatives
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Lead the mid-year performance review cycle and support employee growth paths
- Assess DEIB initiatives and develop long-term strategy for People Operations success along DEIB and company impact goals
- People Operations Leadership
- Operationalize an adaptable, diverse, and inclusive People Operations function aligned with the company’s long-term growth and health equity impact goals
- Develop and measure Key Results and outcomes for People Operations that contribute to the organization’s overall success and scale
- Create proactive, repeatable processes to drive consistently-strong employee experiences and retention, and that support our people managers
- Develop and execute a comprehensive DEIB strategy in alignment with the organization's mission, values, and impact goals
- Create and revise DEIB policies and practices, as needed, to foster a more inclusive and equitable workplace
- Develop and maintain accessibility and accommodation policies
- Ensure fair and inclusive recruitment practices that attract and hire a diverse workforce that better understands our target patient populations
- Develop and implement DEIB training programs for employees and leaders to promote awareness and understanding
- Drive inclusion initiatives, including Employee Resource Groups
- Foster cultural competency and respect, encouraging cross-cultural learning, understanding, and communication
- Collect and analyze data and metrics related to DEIB efforts, providing regular reporting and insights
- Support people managers in recruiting, motivating, and retaining a high-performing team, driving employee engagement, satisfaction, and professional development
- Own the success of company-wide employee engagement and team-building initiatives, including reward and recognition programs, shared-interest initiatives, cultural celebrations and education, and company All Hands
- Assess workplace climate and metrics, and make data-driven recommendations
- Support the operations and logistics for in-person team retreats
- Oversee all functional components of HR, including compensation, benefits, and workforce analytics, ensuring that the company meets regulatory requirements while prioritizing an excellent employee experience
- Act as trusted advisor to team members on HR-related matters
- Support people managers in hiring, onboarding, and offboarding
- Manage and build strong partnership with PEO
- Maintain all HR policies, procedures, and communications per latest legal and regulatory requirements
- Process on-time and accurate payroll
- Lead HR conflict resolution, complaints, and investigations
- Stay well-informed on industry changes and best practices as an active member of the professional HR community
- Build a feedback- and data-driven culture that cultivates growth mindset and continuous improvement
- Identify and implement professional development opportunities for the team aligned with company strategy and goals
- Collaborate with people managers and leadership to develop and use Career Ladders and growth plans consistently, predictably, and effectively
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Team Engagement and Satisfaction
Growth and Performance Management
- Functional leadership experience across multiple People Operations roles (e.g. Head of People and Talent, Director of HR, or similar), at two or more previous companies
- Experience managing the entire employee lifecycle, from onboarding to offboarding
- Comprehensive understanding of HR compliance and legal requirements
- Prior success of implementing and championing DEIB initiatives
- Track record of driving change and delivering results
- Demonstrated ability to use data and analytics to develop strategies and make informed decisions
- Exceptional professional communication skills, both oral and written
- Empathic leader with discretion, sensitivity, and confidentiality
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interact with executive-level external and internal stakeholders
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to self-manage priorities, work independently, and proactively problem-solve
- Multiple years of work experience in a remote-first or primarily remote environment
- Alignment with our company mission and vision
- Preferred experience in healthtech industry
- Based in the U.S.
Empathy and trust are ingrained in the culture at CareMessage —this workplace is a tight-knit community, where people are mission-driven and feel a sense of belonging in working towards common goals.
Our benefits offering is purposely built to engender trust, to enable wellbeing, and to allow us to focus on the things that matter most.
We believe in equal work for equal pay: all team members performing the same role at the same level are paid similarly, regardless of where they are in the worldFlexible work hours; fully remote teamHalf-day Fridays & 15 days of PTO19 paid company holidays, including a one week mid-year and one week end-of-year breakPaid parental leave for biological and adopted childrenGenerous medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their familiesHealth Savings Accounts and Flexible Spending Accounts401k retirement planShort & long-term disability insurance$100 per employee yearly wellness budget, with flexibility to spend on physical, emotional, and mental wellness resourcesPerkSpot: Instant access to discounts on products & services from hundreds of vendorsAnnual budget for professional and personal development (webinars, online courses, books, and more)Volunteerism incorporated in onboarding and encouraged on an ongoing basis9 wellness days to be used for self-care- or anything that comes up in life1-month (20 working days) paid sabbatical after the 4-year anniversary, and every 4 years thereafter