Staff Data Scientist
Location: AMERICAS EAST COAST UTC-5
Our fully remote, distributed environment enables us to work with awesome people from around the world. Our team members work from 38 different countries. We generally hire based on timezones and try to keep teams together by making sure that every Zapien overlaps with their manager & teammates for at least a few hours a day.
We're looking for Staff Data Scientists to join the Data Enablement team at Zapier.
Data Enablement is responsible for catalyzing our data science capabilities by empowering data scientists and business stakeholders through owning our experimentation and data science platforms.
If you’re interested in advancing your career at a fast-growing, profitable, impact-driven company, then read on…
- You have experience working with Machine Learning models in production. You have 5+ years of relevant experience writing clean Python code with reproducible results. You also have experience with some of the following tools/concepts: unit testing, OOP, packaging, app creation frameworks.
- You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You communicate complex technical topics clearly and in an approachable way.
- You have proven stakeholder management expertise. As a collaborative thought partner, you're gifted at explaining your findings clearly to a non-technical audience.
- You have deep expertise in designing and analyzing rigorous experiments of varying degrees of complexity. This includes mastery of A/B test design.
- You combine your strong business acumen with statistical expertise (e.g. confidence intervals, regression modeling, significance testing). This includes demonstrated experience with common machine learning techniques for deep data mining and exploration (e.g. predictive modeling, time series modeling, classification, and clustering techniques).
- You enjoy collaboration and knowledge sharing. You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with teammates with any level of statistical knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
- You understand that perfect is the enemy of good. You will default to action by initially shipping solutions that simply work and work simply while iterating as needed.
Things You’ll Do
Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, so you'll get experience on many different projects to support our stakeholders. Here are some things you might get to help our teams with:
- Work with Engineering teams on fine tuning Large language Models, as well as improve our systems and processes in the space.
- Improve our Experimentation Platform by leading change on tooling, infrastructure and design, expanding its use cases beyond traditional A/B testing, owning documentation and advocating usage among technical and non technical stakeholders.
- Assist multiple data teams on advanced Experimentation and Machine Learning projects.
- Ensure all data teams have the best tools and processes in place to serve our stakeholders and derive value from data.
- Develop data literacy programs and provide easy-to-use tools with clear documentation, examples, and tutorials.
- Tools you’ll probably use include AWS Redshift, SQL, Looker, dbt, Databricks, Airflow, Eppo, and Python.
Zapier Compensation Guiding Principles
We believe all Zapiens should be rewarded competitively and equitably, using practices that are simple and transparent. This philosophy ensures we’re able to find, grow, and retain exceptional people from a broad range of backgrounds. Here’s how we define our compensation principles:
- Competitive: Zapier pays well among the technology sector.
- Equitable: Consistent pay practices; competency-based pay.
- Simple: Pay is well understood, and pay practices are built for scale.
- Transparent: Zapiens know how pay works, including how their pay is determined.
The pay ranges for this role are:
United States: 167,400 min 209,200 mid 251,00 max USD
Canada: 167,400 min 209,200 mid 251,00 max CAD
A Candidate's compensation package is finalized once the interview process is concluded and accounts for experience, competencies (job knowledge, skills and abilities) and internal equity. We use a competency-based approach to base pay, which means we set pay for all Zapier employees based on their competency and skills demonstrated in their role. In alignment with that philosophy, the upper half of a pay range is typically reserved for individuals who have consistently demonstrated a high level of job knowledge and skills for their current role and level while at Zapier.
For more information on Zapier’s Total Rewards please click.
How to Apply
At Zapier, we believe that diverse perspectives and experiences make us better, which is why we have a non-standard application process designed to promote inclusion and equity. We're looking for the best fit for each of our roles, regardless of the type of education or companies in your background, so we encourage you to apply even if your skills and experiences don’t exactly match the job description. All we ask is that you answer a few in-depth questions in our application that would typically be asked at the start of an interview process. This helps speed things up by letting us get to know you and your skillset a bit better right out of the gate. Please be sure to answer each question; the resume and CV fields are optional.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us—even if we don’t see an immediate fit with our team. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to never go more than seven days without letting you know the status of your application. We know we’ll make mistakes from time to time, so if you ever have questions about where you stand or about the process, just ask your recruiter!
Zapier is an equal-opportunity employer and we're excited to work with talented and empathetic people of all identities. Zapier does not discriminate based on someone's identity in any aspect of hiring or employment as required by law and in line with our commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Belonging and Equity. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base. Zapier will consider all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws.
Zapier is committed to inclusion. As part of this commitment, Zapier welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and will work to provide reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Even though we’re an all-remote company, we still need to be thoughtful about where we have Zapiens working. Check outfor a list of countries where we currently cannot have Zapiens permanently working.