Full Stack Developer
Mizzen Education, Inc., an education non-profit based out of Los Angeles, CA, partners with afterschool networks, out-of-School programs, and educators to support high-quality afterschool experiences through a comprehensive digital library of teaching and learning resources via mobile app and web-based platforms. Mizzen empowers educators to design and deliver engaging afterschool programs that spark curiosity, joy, and a love of learning for all children and youth. Through funding from the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, Mizzen is available at no cost to afterschool programs and individual educators.
To remain aligned and connected with the needs, opportunities, and continuous quality improvement priorities of the afterschool field, Mizzen Education has identified the need for a Full Stack Developer to support the organization’s strategic objectives related to core product design and development.
About Mizzen Education
Mizzen by Education recently transitioned to an independent charitable organization following its status as a special education project of the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation. As a result, the workplace culture will be that of a dynamic start-up organization with team members proactively establishing systems and processes to support Mizzen Education’s growth and development as a high-performing organization.
About the Position
Mizzen is in the process of shifting all product and development functions in-house as we focus on expanding our team to support our continued growth. In support of these goals, Mizzen seeks a Full Stack Developer to lead the continued development and maintenance of our cross-platform app. You’ll be wearing many hats - working on new features, enhancements to existing functionality, and managing our AWS environment. Experience building and maintaining highly scalable, flexible, content-driven enterprise applications is strongly preferred. This position is ideally full-time, reporting to the CEO, and working in partnership with the full Mizzen team.
- May review, mentor, or oversee the work of computer programmers, technicians, and software engineering employees or contractors.
- Works with users and/or internal teams, in collaboration with Mizzen’s Product Leader, to understand user needs; drafts initial proposal and design of software to meet these needs.
- Assesses feasibility of design and project parameters within time and cost constraints.
- Analyzes user needs and designs software for client use.
- Develops code and designs software applications based on user specifications.
- Modifies existing software to correct errors or improve performance.
- Monitors and assists with software testing and validation procedures and programming.
- Monitors and assists with software installation; ensures application operates within established specifications.
- Gathers and evaluates user feedback and then modifies software for better usability.
- Designs databases for specific application areas.
- Determines required system performance standards and hardware configurations based on client specifications, budget, security needs, and other parameters.
- Collaborates with systems analysts, engineers, and programmers to design systems to support required applications.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
App development experience should include proficiency with the following technologies:
DevOps experience should include familiarity with the following technologies:
- Drone EC2
- Route 53
- Certificate Manager
Required Skills, Abilities and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field required.
- Five years of experience as a software developer or engineer preferred.
- Experience in a mix of nonprofit, philanthropic and private sectors is preferred with evidence of technology development experience and a mission-driven, social impact mindset.
- Ability to work quickly and effectively with a broad range of people and disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Able to work independently and with a team.
Salaries and Benefits
Salary range for the position will be $115,000 to $130,000 per year depending on relevant experience and work history. Mizzen Education, Inc. offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mizzen Education’s mission statement and core values prioritizes a human-centered culture of inclusion for its employees that respects individual strengths, views, and experiences. Mizzen Education, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.