Manager, Cultivation 🔥
What do you do all day?
At NMSI, our people mean everything to us. They are the lifeblood of the organization. Without our staff, NMSI is just an idea. The Manager of Cultivation manages cultivation efforts for funding opportunities. This role is critical for NMSI to achieve it’s revenue strategy.
This role reports to the Senior Director of Business Development and is a regular full-time position that can be performed from anywhere in the contiguous United States. Occasional travel is required for in-person meetings and conferences.
What are the details?
- Provide feedback on, implement, and adjust the district sales and cultivation strategy as needed.
- Collaborate with Program Success and Business Development Team in setting cultivation goals.
- Utilize and expand your network to share education trends from wide-ranging news sources and brainstorm responsive approaches
- Lead team brainstorming and problem-solving to shape customer-centric sales and cultivation efforts and internal development.
- Continually learn about our evolving academic strategy and how we can meet the needs of communities.
- Track team information in appropriate systems, utilize data to track progress to goals and adjust course where needed to meet or reset goals.
- Lead implementing the cultivation strategy with a focus on expanding NMSI’s impact.
- Lead new community and district programmatic partner cultivation in assigned area.
- Balance strategic and opportunistic sales and cultivation opportunities to meet team and pod goals.
- Strengthen and grow external networks in your region that lead to new partnerships and opportunities toward the goal of greater racial and socioeconomic diversity within STEM fields.
- Represent NMSI as the leader in providing STEM education and increased opportunity for student success for every school and every region we partner.
- Monitor cultivation efforts by socioeconomic status, race, and gender to spot gaps and disparities.
- Identify ways current cultivation and culture undermine equity and help determine the path forward to improve equity and inclusion.
- Partner with all teams in development to ensure alignment of external messaging and marketing.
- Partner with Fundraising to collaborate on a community-centered approach to fundraising and programmatic partnerships.
- Partner with Program Design & Innovation team to influence and understand the ongoing development of services.
- Participate and contribute in cross-functional discussions, working groups and strategic meetings that directly impact the work of the Business Development Team and NMSI.
- Other duties as assigned
What are we looking for?
- Education & Experience You have at least three years of direct sales experience or experience being directly responsible for revenue goals. Experience in creating relationships with communities or with customers that lead to impact is strongly preferred.
- Communication - You have strong verbal communication skills and the ability to convey the mission of NMSI to diverse groups of donors and prospects. You also have strong written communication skills and the ability to write compelling and concise proposals for individual donors and private foundations.
- Equity You proactively work towards and seek equitable and just outcomes, especially in the structures and systems that you develop, maintain, or utilize
- Relationship Builder - You can lead a team to outcomes and work collaboratively with colleagues cross-functionally.
- Inclusive You can work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or job type or any other factor that makes us unique!
- Organized & Productive You are a master at planning your day and not letting distractions come in between meeting your goals
- Reliable You can work effectively with minimal supervision, but you also know when to ask for help
- Flexible You are comfortable working in an ambiguous environment with competing priorities; you’re willing to travel a few times throughout the year when necessary
- Growth Mindset You learn from failure and crave feedback because you know that it makes you better; you are also not afraid to give feedback to your manager or colleagues
- Tech Savvy You embrace technology as a tool to enhance your work effectiveness but not a tool to replace hard work
What do we offer?
The hiring salary range for this role is $89,413 to $102,825, and the salary offer will be commensurate with experience. We take pay equity seriously and work hard to ensure our team members are paid fairly regardless of their gender, race, or other demographic backgrounds. In addition to a competitive salary with the potential for an annual pay increase, we offer a comprehensive total rewards package, including paying roughly 85% of employee-only medical, dental, and vision benefits plus a large portion for dependents. Staff are eligible to participate in 401(k) after 90 days of employment, with up to a 6% employee match, fully vested on day one of participation in the plan. Other benefits for full-time employees include referral and performance-based annual bonuses, telecommunications stipends for eligible remote employees, 20+ paid holidays annually (including a week-long winter break), and a generous PTO policy starting at 12 days per year. We strive to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff members can show up as their authentic selves, participating in DEI-focused learning opportunities and employee-led affinity groups.
Want to learn more?
Theis a national nonprofit organization dedicated to transforming math and science education in today’s classrooms and ensuring that all students have the knowledge and skills to thrive in the global economy of the 21st century. Founded in 2007, NMSI began by dramatically improving student participation and success in rigorous Advanced Placement math, science and English courses in 85 courses across seven states. Today, NMSI has scaled its proven program to serve more than 1.5 million students, 50,000 teachers, 1,000 high schools and 45 universities across 40 states and is having a demonstrable and lasting impact on student outcomes. Go to to learn more.
Offered candidates must pass county, state, and federal-level criminal background checks as a condition of employment. Positions with fiduciary responsibilities, including roles that involve handling money or contracts, executive officers, and those with access to sensitive material such as payroll information must also pass a personal credit report as permissible under the FCRA and applicable state laws.
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
National Math + Science Initiative (NMSI) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NMSI complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.