Executive Director – Women’s Health and Empowerment Network
The Center for Global Health and Development (CGHD), chair of the Women’s Health and Economic Empowerment Network (WHEN) is seeking an Executive Director to assume a paid, part-time position at WHEN, with a potential performance-related advancement opportunity. The work will primarily be conducted remotely through tele-work, however there may be travel opportunities in the future.
About CGHD and WHEN:
WHEN’s mission is to help organizations achieve meaningful and sustainable outcomes by scaling their existing efforts through innovative financing mechanisms. Despite the efforts taken by many low-and-middle income countries to improve women’s health care at a population level, there remains substantial gaps in financing these policies.
WHEN was established to create a streamlined financial platform to align leaders from various G7 government agencies, UN Institutions, private sector partners, philanthropists, and others with a shared goal of improving women’s access to capital and healthcare across the globe. The WHEN platform designs and scales solutions to challenges in women’s economic empowerment projects in health, education, agriculture, education, and entrepreneurship. We identify, leverage, and connect projects to a wide range of alternative sources for funding. This includes lending from private sector finances, angel investors, development financial institutions, venture capital firms, and philanthropists.
As the Secretariat of WHEN, CGHD’s mission is to help organizations achieve meaningful and measurable outcomes by scaling their existing efforts, creating task forces, blended financing platforms, and developing strategy. CGHD has worked across Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the United States to create socially focused, financially stable, and science-backed programs.
We are currently seeking an Executive Director to join the WHEN team. The successful candidate develop strategy and provide input on a wide range of issues related to growing access to healthcare through blended finance in emerging markets. The successful candidate will help WHEN to design and structure innovative financing mechanisms, notably a blended finance funds. The Executive will also provide support by engaging with high-level stakeholders, presenting models to potential investors, and assisting with the design and execution of strategic sessions and engagements with senior leaders in government, the private sector, foundations, multi-lateral organizations and the investment community from around the world.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Assist in the design of a blended financing model.
- Lead partnership discussions both virtually and in-person with a variety of multi-sectoral actors.
- Supervising and supporting a team of fellows by assigning tasks, answering questions, and providing feedback.
- Drafting policy proposals, PowerPoint decks, position papers, reports and other materials for partners and senior staff;
- Assist in strategic business decision-making.
- Monitor a variety of pressing topics for important developments and provide proactive analysis.
- Prepare engagement plans, identify potential targets for outreach, and develop a wide range of materials for stakeholders, investors, and funders.
- Strong commitment to solving the world’s most pressing development challenges.
- Master’s Degree in business, public health, international affairs, public policy, communications, or a related field
- 5+ years experience.
- Extensive knowledge of the financial sector
- Experience in policy analysis, research and/or project management
- Demonstrated excellence in a wide range of written communications in English (a writing sample may be requested)
- Proficiency in interacting with senior officials, including leaders and decision makers across the public, private, philanthropic sectors as well as global health influencers
- Superior critical thinking and analytical skills
- Sound judgement, self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Strong research and project management skills
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, and solve problems
- Capacity to quickly adapt, prioritize, and work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Experience in digital communications strategies, including social media, webinars and web design
- Event management
- CFA or equivalent