Request For Proposal: Website Maintenance Services 🔥
Invitation to Propose
Farm Commons invites qualified professional website design and support companies or individual(s) to submit a proposal in accordance with this Request For Proposal (RFP) for Website Maintenance Services for its organizational needs. We request that proposals adhere to the format and content of this RFP. Farm Commons’ goal in issuing this RFP and receiving proposals is to enter into an agreement with a company or individual based on the specifications outlined in this RFP and submitted proposals.
Founded in 2012, Farm Commons’ mission is to empower agricultural communities with the proactive legal resources they need to resolve their own legal vulnerabilities within an ecosystem of support. Through education, leadership development, and community-based problem-solving around business law, agricultural communities become stronger and more resilient. The result is a legacy of sustainable farms and a community-based food system for everyone.
Farm Commons carries out its mission by creating and distributing books, articles, and resources online and as print material, hosting online and in-person workshops, conducting leadership training online and in-person, and providing services to our members. Farm Commons is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that is supported by grants, earned revenue, and membership fees.
As a fully remote organization, a key component of Farm Commons’ ability to succeed is its website. The current site () was launched in 2020 on WordPress and is currently maintained by a web design firm that handles maintenance and upgrades. We provide a Spanish version of our website as well. We do not desire or plan on a significant redesign of the website within the next 3 years.
Farm Commons currently does NOT have an IT Department, and ongoing website management issues are handled by an internal team that includes the Executive Director. All staff members are trained to create basic posts and resources, and select staff are trained to do tasks such as creating new workshops and setting up registration, etc, as necessary to their role.
Provisions and Limitations
The purpose of this RFP is to ensure maximum, open, and free competition in the solicitation of and procurement of the goods and services described here. This RFP is not to be considered as a purchase agreement or contract or as a commitment of any kind, nor does it obligate Farm Commons to award any contract or pay for costs incurred prior to the execution of a contract unless such costs are specifically authorized in writing by Farm Commons.
Farm Commons reserves the right to:
- Accept or reject any or all proposals received, or to cancel or reissue this RFP in part or its entirety;
- Award a contract for any goods and services in any quantity that Farm Commons determines, at its sole discretion, is in its best interest;
- Award a contract to other than the lowest cost/priced respondent;
- Reject any proposal that fails to confirm the essential requirements of this RFP;
- Contact any individual or entity listed in the proposal or otherwise known to Farm Commons, who may have knowledge of the respondent’s experience, performance, and qualifications; and
- Request additional information from any and all respondents.
The contact identified below is the sole point of contact regarding the RFP from the date of issuance until the selection of the successful vendor. The contact information is also the address to submit proposals.
Farm Commons Communications Manager
Phone: (218) 302-4030 x130
Qualifications & Submission Information
Proposals shall be submitted to Farm Commons via email or mail before November 17, 2023. Proposals shall include the following information:
- Business’s / individual’s name, address, and telephone number.
- Principal(s) of the business and their experience and qualifications.
- Experience and qualifications of key personnel to be assigned to Farm Commons.
- A description of the business or individual’s prior experience, including similar projects and examples.
- Description of the approach the business or individual will use in providing the service requested, specifically the Identified Needs and Scope of Work detailed below.
- Description why the business or individual is pursuing this work and how it is uniquely qualified to perform the services.
- Scope of services beyond the RFP that the firm provides, as may be of interest to Farm Commons.
- A proposed fee schedule for completion of the Scope of Work, in the model detailed in the Scope of Work or as desired. Provide additional documentation as necessary to help Farm Commons understand the proposed fee structure for the Scope of Work.
The qualified vendor would provide necessary technical services, which would enable Farm Commons to:
- Ensure the efficient operation of its website.
- Have well-trained staff comfortable publishing and organizing content on its website frequently.
- Have website content management protocol and systems in place that provide timely, accurate, and relevant information to the community in an engaging and welcoming way through blog posts, website pop ups and banners.
- Empower staff to make efficient use of technology to provide outreach for our programs, events, and activities including integration with MailChimp and Google Analytics.
- Allow site visitors and nonmembers to register for Farm Commons events and as relevant.
- Maintain and implement a catastrophic recovery plan to deal with unforeseen events related to the website.
- Protect and secure its technology assets.
Scope of Work
The contracted business/individual (s) shall have extensive knowledge and background in WordPress and common plugins/integrations cited below. Contracted business/individual(s) will be expected to complete the responsibilities listed below:
- Perform regular maintenance and upkeep of Farm Commons’ website, including hosting and domain registration.
- Manage WordPress integrations/plugins of our site, including, but not limited to, the management of the following currently-used features: WooCommerce Zapier, AutomateWoo, AutomateWoo - Refer a Friend, Teams for WooCommerce Memberships, WooCommerce Memberships, WooCommerce Subscriptions, WooCommerce Waitlist, Thinkific SS, WP OAuth Server, Polylang Pro + Polylang for WooCommerce.
- Maintain the integrity of the site against spam, hackers, viruses, and electronic attacks via firewalls, security software, and passwords.
- Submit quarterly reports on how the site is being used and its effectiveness. Measurements would include traffic sources, top keywords, top pages and referrals, and other topics deemed necessary. Other measurable components could include unique visitors, number of visits, page views, impressions, and click-through rate.
- Update drop-down menus as needed to function effortlessly to ensure visitor satisfaction.
- Participate in monthly 30-minute meetings with the Farm Commons team to discuss issues, needs, or special projects.
- Make recommendations to Farm Commons staff on how to improve and optimize the site, as time and conditions allow.
- Provide a project management system or process that allows Farm Commons to submit issues, needs or questions in an orderly manner. Ideally, this system would utilize Asana, but if not, the new project management system should include a straightforward process that allows Farm Commons to submit issues/needs/questions, get feedback on the nature of the issue, and IF the request results in the desire for action, to designate and track the progress of the ticket.
- Provide additional training as needed for basic tasks that include, but are not limited to, updating WooCommerce, troubleshooting membership accounts, adding features like new resources and pages, maintaining WordPress plugins and Zapier integrations, etc., building on a set of instructions we already maintain.
Please select one of the following fee schedules as proposed. If appropriate, please include any additional documentation that supports the fee.
Item Price (USD) Unit
A Lump Sum Payment for Services Once
B Hourly Rate for Maintenance Per hour
C Monthly Fee Based Billing Per month
D Project Based Pricing Per occurrence
Selection Process and Criteria
Individuals and companies will be evaluated with equal attention to qualifications, demonstrated ability to carry out the scope of work, proposed fees and expenses, and experience working with nonprofits.
Farm Commons may request an interview in addition to the evaluation of written proposals. Farm Commons anticipates selecting the top proposal in the last week of November, with the goal of entering into an agreement as soon as possible.