Campaign Director 🔥
We are looking for an ambitious, creative Campaign Director who is passionate about our mission to join our 12-person team. You’ll be driving the campaign strategy for the organization, managing a small team of talented campaigners, and working for an organization with a track record of delivering high-impact campaigns.
The Syria Campaign (TSC) is a small, fast-moving, and powerful human rights organization that has an impact through stories, news, and campaigns. We work to support Syria’s heroes in the struggle for freedom, justice, and democracy, partnering with civil society groups inside and outside the country.
The Syria Campaign works to keep Syria in the international spotlight to increase the cost of attacks on civilians, help build the power of civil society, advocate for a vision of real peace and justice and build international solidarity with the Syrian people.
We’ve raised the profile of Syrian groups such as the White Helmets rescue workers, helping secure them millions of dollars to continue their life-saving work and elevating their profilearound the world. We’ve supported Families for Freedom, a women-led movement of the families of the disappeared in Syria, to ensure their demands are heard. We work with dozens of partners across Syria who trust us deeply. Syria is full of heroes and we’re privileged enough to work with them.
We have to fight hard to make sure the issues that matter to us and our partners get the focus and support they need. We refuse to let Syria disappear from the attention of the world, and we will work until we see justice served.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Creating a vision and strategy for a team of talented campaigners. You’ll lead a small team of campaigners and storytellers across multiple locations, bringing fresh approaches to collaboration and campaigning. You’ll also be part of the senior management team, helping steer The Syria Campaign’s overall strategy plans with a particular focus on identifying opportunities for campaigns.
- Leading campaigns with our partners to make their demands heard on the international stage. You’ll be campaigning for freedom and justice for Syria’s disappeared, for the protection of civilians and humanitarian workers from the bombs, and for support for educators, media activists and other heroic civil society actors on the ground in Syria. You’ll work on multiple campaigns simultaneously, from concept through to delivery.
- Telling the inspiring and heartbreaking stories the world needs to hear about Syria. You’ll work with our committed movement of supporters to take action in solidarity with the demands of our Syrian partners.
- Oversee the development of campaign content. This will include videos, graphics and websites with external partners and creative agencies. You will be running experiments, trying different approaches, and sharing data-driven results.
- Representing The Syria Campaign. You’ll develop relationships with our peers and partners and at external meetings, seek out opportunities for new partnerships and make them happen, as well as acting as a media spokesperson when needed.
We want a creative, passionate Campaign Director able to think of new ways to bring the stories of Syria to an audience around the world. This is a challenging role that requires collaboration, flexibility, good judgment, initiative and an ability to deliver results. The Campaign Director will have a commitment to role requires
The core competencies which any successful candidate will display are:
- At least eight years’ experience in campaigning, including at least three in a management position
- Strong strategic and creative skills
- Professionalism, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines
- Understanding of how civic advocacy and public campaigning function
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture
- Experience managing staff
- Strong writing skills
- Commitment to a free and democratic future for Syria, and global justice more broadly
- Understanding of media and social media
- High-quality written and verbal Arabic [desirable but not required]
- Experience working remotely [desirable but not required]
The Syria Campaign is committed to making sure everyone on the team is happy, productive and motivated. Here’s how we do that:
Salary is competitive and in line with international organisations.
The job is remote and can be done anywhere in European, Middle Eastern or East Coast US time zones. We have team members in the US, Germany, Morocco, Turkey, England and France and provide you with a space in a co-working office wherever you are based. We have full staff retreats every year to keep us connected.
We provide budget, time and support for your professional development.
We give 25 days of leave a year, public holidays and discretionary break over the end of year holidays. We offer family-friendly parental leave policies.
We are an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply. We do not and will not discriminate on the basis of age, race, nationality or citizenship, gender expression or identity, religion, economic background, disability, or sexual orientation.