Director Of Development and Operations
The Presidents’ Alliance is looking for an experienced, energetic, collaborative, and organized individual to serve as our Director of Partnerships and Administration. The Director will drive, lead, and manage Presidents’ Alliance initiatives as they relate to development, membership and revenue-generating activities and operations. The Presidents’ Alliance has built a diverse portfolio of funding streams, including major funders, member institution contributions, and corporate sponsors; the individual will be responsible for stewarding and growing these partnerships in order to raise approximately $3M annually.
Working with the Executive Director, the director serves as a key staff member and strategic thought partner on Presidents’ Alliance initiatives and the organization’s future directions and priorities. This individual will supervise the Manager of Operations and People, who will assist in membership and operations, and coordinate other operations and event planning consultants.
Specific Position Responsibilities
The Director will be the primary coordinator for the Presidents’ Alliance development initiatives, working closely with the Executive Director and consultants, to sustain and increase the Presidents’ Alliance funding. Tasks, some of which may be assigned to consultants hired by the Director, include:
- Manage the development and operational workflow of grants, budgets, and events in which the Presidents’ Alliance engages by preparing and tracking calendars, grant budgets, and materials;
- Identify new prospects and funders; prepare briefings for and help coordinate funder meetings; draft grant proposals, reports, and letters; develop 3 month, 6 month, and 12 month strategy and work plans for fundraising work.
- In coordination with the organization’s senior manager of communications, lead and manage the production of the organization’s annual impact report; and lead on the production of fundraising and communications materials.
The Director will oversee membership at the Presidents’ Alliance, including membership records and dues, stewardship of current members, and outreach to potential new members. The employee should be a thought partner in strategically expanding and managing membership while also overseeing the membership operations. Tasks include:
- Manage, steward, and grow our engagement with member institutions, including those in the Leadership Circle, and the Affiliate Partner program; develop 3 month, 6 month, and 12 month strategy and work plans for membership giving, expansion, and stewardship.
- Oversee management of member records using a membership database (CRMS), and of staff training of the CRMS and manage the administration and tracking of membership contributions and other invoicing.
- In coordination with the organization’s senior manager of communications, develop materials for outreach to potential new members.
The Director supervises the Manager of Operations and People and oversees the administration of the Presidents’ Alliance operations as related to our grants, budgets, and membership. The Director hires and supervises 1-2 contractor positions to assist with information management, budgetary and financial operations, periodic event planning, and administrative tasks. Responsibilities include:
- In coordination with the organization’s portfolio manager, oversee the financial budgets related to fundraising, grants, and membership contributions.
- With the executive director, strategize and create organizational budgets for upcoming fiscal years.
- Oversee the organization’s Dashboard, which is used to track the organization’s outputs for funder reports and grants.
The successful candidate will bring considerable work experience and expertise in one or more of the following areas: fundraising and development, membership engagement, strategic partnerships, and nonprofit management. The individual will demonstrate excellent writing, speaking, and organizational skills, and people, project and budget management experiences.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 5-7 years professional experience in development or fundraising, including some management experience
Preferred competencies include:
- Excellent writing, verbal, and presentation skills, including funding proposals, slide presentations and website content; a good understanding of storytelling approaches
- Ability to fundraise and build relationships, adept at connecting the dots to successfully keep initiatives on track, coupled with the ability to prioritize work, deliver high-quality products, and meet multiple deadlines
- Excellent project management skills and experience, ability to lead projects independently, and solve problems creatively
- Strong quantitative and budget skills is a plus, and familiarity with software and database management
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, (Excel, Word, PPT); Google Suite; Adobe required; experience with Wordpress, Canva, Constant Contact, and Qualtrics welcomed
- Experience with Asana or other project management systems; and Little Green Light or other CMS systems preferred
- Enthusiasm and experience with working with diverse teams and on collaborative projects
- Experience working with higher education institutions welcomed
- Lived experiences in immigration or background experiences working with immigrant, refugee, or international students strongly encouraged