Director Of Communications and Marketing
FreeFrom is a national organization founded in 2016 and based in Los Angeles, whose mission is to dismantle the nexus between gender-based violence and financial insecurity. FreeFrom believes in the creativity, resourcefulness, and power that each survivor has to achieve financial independence and to build communities that support individual, intergenerational, and collective healing. We also believe that gender-based violence is a systemic problem in our society which we are severely lacking the infrastructure to address. FreeFrom’s work is to create that infrastructure, by:
- growing the capacity of the anti-violence movement;
- supporting survivors with emergency cash grants and our Savings Matching Program;
- building tech resources for survivors;
- creating peer networks that facilitate survivors’ collective power building;
- changing existing laws and advocating for the passage of new, survivor-centered laws at the state and federal level;
- expanding the data and research that exists to support the field; and
- bringing in employers, banks, and other institutions as part of the ecosystem working to support survivors’ financial security and safety.
Visit our website to learn more about FreeFrom –
FREEFROM’S WORK CULTURE:
The FreeFrom team is made up of queer, trans, im/migrant, and BIPOC survivors. We envision a world in which all survivors are able to build the wealth and financial security necessary to support their individual, intergenerational, and community healing—enabling them to thrive.
At FreeFrom, we are already modeling the types of comprehensive support we are setting out to achieve through this work. We are committed to the financial security of survivors by paying all staff living-wage salaries, providing flexible work schedules, offering a building wealth stipend, unlimited menstrual leave and other benefits, designing survivor-informed practices, and actively engaging staff in the development of new policies and best practices. Starting from within, we are building an ecosystem of support rooted in respect for the wisdom of survivors who always know best what we need and how to innovate solutions to meet those needs.
FreeFrom is also a team of nimble innovators. We intentionally cultivate a spirit of creativity and experimentation in our work, understanding that we must be willing to try new approaches and apply new frameworks in order to solve a systemic problem like gender-based violence.
- 4-day work week
- Unlimited paid vacation + vacation stipend
- 8 weeks office closures annually
- Building wealth stipend
- Personal and professional growth stipend
- Gender-based violence paid and protected leave
- Technology stipend
- Unlimited menstrual leave
- 401k with a 5% employer match
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- 100% covered health, vision and dental insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Additional optional benefits including legal, accident and pet insurance
ABOUT THE POSITION:
FreeFrom is looking for a deeply committed, dynamic, and creative Director of Communications and Marketing with at least 3 years of prior experience in this role to join our team. The Director of Communications and Marketing will oversee FreeFrom’s public facing communications, including our website, social media presence (Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook), press and media relations, and outbound email communications (i.e. newsletters via MailChimp). The Director of Communications and Marketing will also lead and execute all marketing efforts for, our social enterprise.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted. Our positions remain open until filled.
POSITION REPORTS TO
- Founder & CEO
General Communications and Marketing responsibilities
- Oversee FreeFrom’s and Gifted’s brands, and develop national brand strategies for both entities;
- Lead the development and occasional revision of FreeFrom’s story: nail down the language used to describe who we are and what we do through press, pitch decks, speaking engagements, website copy, email, social media, etc;
- Develop and implement a “big picture” communications and marketing strategy that authentically represents our work across diverse geographic and political environments in alignment with FreeFrom’s survivor-centered social media content;
- Develop goals for both FreeFrom’s and Gifted’s communications and marketing strategies, and consistently measure progress (e.g. engagement, revenue and sales, etc.) using data and analytics of performance metrics towards those goals;
- Lead communications strategy for key launches and events for both FreeFrom and Gifted (i.e. determine appropriate communications tactics to disseminate FreeFrom’s news and debut activities that need to be publicized);
- Build out and execute sales and marketing strategies for Gifted in an effort to continuously grow our presence, brand, and sales;
- Create content and lead on the execution of FreeFrom’s external newsletters, annual reports, and other key communications materials and campaigns;
- Create content and lead on the execution of Gifted’s external newsletters;
- Work with all departments within our team to lead and develop campaigns and communications plans for specific projects, launches (e.g. report launches, new Safety Fund openings, etc.), and department updates and news;
- Review and approve all social media content created by our team;
- Research and implement content marketing and social media best practices, leveraging new and emerging platforms, tools, trends, and partnerships;
- Ensure any and all written and visual content work together to inspire our external community and authentically represent the communities we serve. Align all content and engagement efforts with FreeFrom’s (and Gifted’s) brand narrative, personality, and tone, while helping to develop a fresh range of voices for different purposes;
- Work with our team to make sure their public speaking engagements are aligned with FreeFrom’s and/or Gifted’s messaging and brand; and
- Develop short-term communications plans for fast-moving challenges, rapid response campaigns, and/or crisis management.
- Work with our team to manage FreeFrom’s and Gifted’s online media presence (i.e. visibility, engagement with our community, etc.);
- Create and oversee the development of all FreeFrom and Gifted social content (e.g. newsletters, Instagram posts, Twitter posts, LinkedIn posts, etc.) using Notion as a tool to track roles, progress, and publication of content. Work with our team to assign roles in the creation of all social content; and
- Work with our team to ensure that FreeFrom’s social media accounts (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube) are up-to-date.
Public Relations and Media
- Work with our team to develop and manage public relations efforts, including writing media advisories, talking points, op-eds, quotes, and press statements for report and product launches, events, and activities;
- Pitch story ideas and provide information to generate media coverage;
- Respond to inquiries from print, radio, and television journalists;
- Develop and maintain media lists; and
- Develop and maintain relationships with national and local reporters, key media outlets, bloggers, and other media influencers on a variety of topics including related to the intersection of IPV and financial insecurity.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- At least 3+ years of experience in a communications/marketing role, either as a director with an organization or a leader at an agency, showing progressive responsibility and success;
- Experience growing and leading a communications and marketing team with a commitment to compassionate leadership and talent development;
- Experience creating engaging digital content and website copy;
- An ability to conceptualize and execute communications plans, including plans with heavy digital components;
- Experience successfully pitching and placing stories and op-eds in major media publications;
- A demonstrated ability to distill complicated issues into clear, persuasive messaging;
- Comfort working with diverse coalitions in a fast-paced industry;
- Flexibility, openness, and willingness to experiment and innovate;
- Experience managing both rapid-development short-term and complex long-term projects;
- Highly collaborative spirit, with a strong ability to project manage and get things done (individually and through others) in a dynamic environment;
- Strong project management, organizational, and time-management skills, with high accuracy and attention to detail;
- Self-motivated and able to work well independently as well as collaborate with other team members;
- Strong people skills, emotional intelligence, and ability to collaborate and work well with others across all departments within our team;
- Must bring enthusiasm, creativity, patience, and flexibility to the work;
- Ability to adapt to evolving strategies and circumstances;
- Comfortable with taking risks and otherwise bucking trends and traditional approaches; and
- Commitment to FreeFrom’s mission, innovation, and the highest standards of activism.