Remote Senior Js/typescript Engineer
Important: This role is for someone working within European or African Timezones
provides a data transformation and process automation platform that enables secure, stable, scalable interoperability for lower- and middle-income country (LMIC) government and NGO customers.
OpenFn is a free and open sourceused by LMIC governments and NGOs around the world to scale the next generation of health and humanitarian interventions via data integration, interoperability, and process automation. We use cutting edge technologies to drive efficiency where it matters most; we do not make marginal improvements to already comfortable lives.
While customer-facing OpenFn/Lightning is a Phoenix LiveView (Elixir/Erlang) web application, our adaptors, worker servers, and compiler/execution/runtime environment are all TypeScript. We have 50+ Js/Ts Language Adaptors and a developer-friendly CLI for working with the most commonly used and mission-critical software in the health and humanitarian sectors.
We want to create a best-in-class developer experience, increasing ease of use and offering better visibility for those developing and automating workflows with OpenFn.
You'll be focusing on the design, development, and testing of these adaptors with an eye towards harnessing generative-AI (such as GitHub Co-Pilot and OpenAI's ChatGPT) to build better (more intuitive, better tested, more user-friendly) adaptors and job code. You'll help us explore how AI can take some of the pain out of adaptor generation, maintenance and usage.
As a small team working in the face of rapidly increasing demand, we move fast at times and slow at others, but we try to make sure that we're always doing so for the right reasons. While we're careful not to gild the lily, no one likes wading through code that could have been written more clearly or stomping bugs that might have been avoided.
If you like the idea of low-code environments and of building out in the open—in conversation with leading NGOs and governments around the world—we'd love to talk to you.
Things that matter to us
- Curiosity and pragmatism: You've got to enjoy trying new things; constantly think about the tradeoffs between acting early and not doing something.
- An enthusiasm for open source: The majority of our code is publicly available under the LGPL-3.0 license and has already been adopted and adapted by some of the top international development organizations around the world. We want to further this with more and better tools that empower those working in the ICT4D sector.
- Strong opinions, weakly held: Making decisions that affect future design paths is always difficult. We don't sit on mistakes. And we listen carefully when someone has ideas or prior experience that contradict our own.
What you'll be doing
Along the way you'll be ensuring that the code our end-users write and run is observable and measurable. You'll also collaborate with our team and our partners to improve OpenFn's architecture, propose novel solutions, and review the work of your peers across the company and the sector.
- Orchestration/platform: Elixir, Phoenix, React, Postgres, GCP, Kubernetes
Things that might set you apart
- You have experience in building rich interactive web based UIs, we're talking dragging boxes, connecting lines and other visualizations.
- You are passionate about emerging AI technologies but conscious of its potential social impact.
- You have a solid understanding of how LLMs work and experience either training/tweaking models or crafting effective prompts.
- You have functional programming experience.
- Financial compensation is commensurate with experience.
- Flexible working schedule.
- Exposure to hottest industry and technology trends and leading health and humanitarian interventions in the sector.
- Opportunity for leadership and advancement. You will be a key contributor to our company's technical strategy and direction.