About Dance Exchange: Fueled by generosity and curiosity,expands who gets to dance, where dance happens, what dance is about, and why dance matters. We collaborate across generations, disciplines, and communities to channel the power of dancemaking as a means for dialogue, a source of critical reflection, and a creative engine for thought and action. The work we cultivate and steward today grows from a legacy and commitment to intergenerational and community exchange, artmaking at the intersection of social relevance and community participation, and moving as a way to notice our world and noticing as a way to move our world. Founded in 1976 by Liz Lerman and under the current direction of Executive Artistic Director Cassie Meador and Managing Director Silvia Roberts, Dance Exchange is a non-profit dance organization based in Takoma Park, Maryland. Dance Exchange is a community hub facility with a wide variety of rental partners representing dance, yoga, various movement-based practices, Taiko drumming, West African drumming and dance, aerial arts, martial arts, and other creative practices. We are artists providing educational programs locally and nationally, often focused on areas of social impact including climate change. Our performance work nationally and internationally includes artist partners who bring creative storytelling and community building uniquely to each location.
Dance Exchange is an equal-opportunity employer. Dance Exchange values and prioritizes working among intergenerational teams. Our projects, programs, and partnerships aim to cultivate an inclusive community representing the rich diversity of our home in the Washington DC metro region and in the communities where we work nationally and internationally. We encourage people of color, people in the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, adults along the aging spectrum, and those with other diverse lived experiences to apply. Aligning with our mission to expand who gets to dance, strong candidates will demonstrate the ability to foster belonging for people of all ages, abilities, racial/ethnic identities, gender identities and expressions, and more. Qualified candidates will be committed to equity and anti-racism.
Starting: November 6, 2023
Application Deadline: October 6, 2023 or until filled
Hours per week/Schedule: 20 hours per week. Candidates should have availability between 9 am - 5 pm ET spread out throughout the week.
Benefits: Dance Exchange offers a flexible work schedule. Employees can attend Dance Exchange programming and events for free.
Place of Work: Remote
Immediate supervisor: Managing Director
Hourly rate: $31,200 annually ($30/hour)
The Marketing/Communications Manager will effectively manage the strategy for marketing/communications at Dance Exchange. The goal of this position is to increase the visibility of and engagement with Dance Exchange programs, partnerships, artists, partners, and the Community and Creative Hub, our physical building in Takoma Park. The Marketing/Communications Manager works closely with the Managing Director and Executive Artistic Director and supervises the Communications Specialist.
- Strategy: In partnership with the Dance Exchange team, the Marketing/Communications manager will guide the following strategic areas of focus:
- Annual Strategy: Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual Dance Exchange marketing and communications plan outlining the cadence and content for communications outreach.
- Program Recruitment Strategy: In partnership with the Dance Exchange programming team, design and implement a recruitment process for Dance Exchange community programming including Dance On creative aging classes, Takoma Park Moves community programming, Youth Exchange, and the Dance Exchange community choreography laboratory, Co|Lab.
- Current Project Visibility Strategy: Develop and implement a plan for promoting Dance Exchange’s major projects and partnerships. including , , , , , and others
- Cultivate/manage press interest and inquiries
- Seek out opportunities for awards or recognition
- Hub Visibility Strategy: In partnership with the operations team, design and implement a strategy for increasing the visibility and rental usage of Dance Exchange’s Community and Creative Hub, our physical building in Takoma Park. Develop opportunities to amplify and support the programs and activities of Dance Exchange’s rental partners.
- Fundraising Strategy: The Marketing/Communications Manager will design, implement, produce, and distribute materials both electronically and in print to support Dance Exchange fundraising goals including spring and end-of-the-year appeals, donor communications, and supporting materials for our annual SPARK fundraising event.
- Website Development: Working closely with the partnerships and projects team and the building team, manage further development of the website to support its function as a partnership cultivator, an earned revenue generator, and an archive for showcasing the past work of Dance Exchange choreographers and artists.
- Content Development: The Marketing/Communications Manager will produce the following communications
- Twice monthly e-blasts to participants in Dance Exchange programming and supporters of Dance Exchange and our initiatives
- Website content and updates including programming and project updates, general information, program recruitment, and archival upgrades
- Email recruitment content including design and distribution
- Content for the organization’s annual fundraising appeal in partnership with the development team and design of print and online fundraising communications
- Design and content support for the organization’s annual report
- Content development for print and digital promotional materials as well as design and/or management of contracted graphic design
- Working closely with the partnerships and projects team, develop content and materials needed to support the cultivation of new partnerships and earned income opportunities
- Content support for a periodic donor newsletter communication
- MarComms Meetings: Plan and lead regular Marketing and Communications team meetings
- Supervising Communications Specialist: Work in partnership with the Communications Specialist to design, expand, and implement an effective social media strategy and provide leadership and focus for the process of asset management (gathering and organizing photos, quotes, and other media for upcoming marketing/communications needs).
- Evaluation Team Member: Work in partnership with evaluation team members to measure and communicate the outcomes and impact of Dance Exchange projects, programming, and initiatives.
- Experience developing and implementing marketing/communications strategy
- Comfort with creating and managing a communications calendar and marketing timeline
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices in marketing/communications
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, copy editing, and organizational skills with a keen attention to detail
- Willingness to work in a highly collaborative environment with a commitment to generosity and curiosity and an ability to demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to support change, concept development, and growth
- Ability to skillfully execute tactics as part of an integrated approach to communications and marketing
- Ability to manage others and appropriately delegate work assignments
- Comfortable asking questions or requesting help when needed
- Experience with navigating and using Google Drive, Google Docs, and Google Sheets
- Experience with Squarespace or other similar web builders
- Graphic design skills
- Experience with and knowledge of video production and editing
- Experience with creative arts organizations a plus
How to Apply:
To apply, please send the following towith “Marketing/Communications Manager” in the subject line:
- Writing samples (at least one page and no more than three pages), which can include:
- Blog posts, articles, or other long-form content
- Fundraising appeal letters
- 1-2 other work samples, which can include:
- Social media content you’ve created for an organization, business, or group (or to promote your work)
- Graphic design work you’ve done (for social media, print, etc.)
- Websites you’ve created or maintained
- Videos you’ve edited
If you have questions, please contactwith “Marketing/Communications Manager” in the subject line.