Position Title: Finance Manager
Reports to: Director of Operations
Hours per week (average): 40
Salary Range: $105,000 - $125,000 (120,000)
Overtime Status: exempt
We are seeking an experienced Finance Manager to join our team. Reporting to the Operations Director, the Finance Manager will play a crucial role in ensuring the efficient management of financial operations, grant allocations, budget tracking, and invoice and contract management. This role requires a candidate who is adept at financial analysis, reporting, and possesses exceptional organizational skills.
SEJ is a utility to the progressive movement, helping progressive organizations plan further into the future than they often have the capacity to, prepare for conditions outside their control, and to practice responding together to the crises and opportunities that present themselves. We use scenario planning and other shared, experiential convenings to accomplish these goals. We work with numerous organizations across the progressive movement, with particular focus among powerbuilding organizations with member bases. Employment at SEJ is through New Venture Fund, our fiscal sponsor.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Collaborate closely with the Operations Director and fiscal sponsor account team to track actual spending against budgets, and provide timely reports for informed decision-making
- Lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Operations Director and ED.
- Regularly create and manage budget forecasts for a compex set of projects and grants.
- Compile, analyze, and generate financial reports, offering insights and recommendations to support resource allocation, grant utilization, and future spending decisions.
- Collaborate with staff, consultants and vendors to ensure financial data accuracy and alignment with organizational goals.
- Manage contracts, including drafting, amending, and ensuring compliance with contractual terms; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Collect and process invoices, ensuring accuracy and timely payments.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Assess existing systems and make recommendations for processes, including the utilization of automation tools to enhance accuracy in reporting.
- Support grant allocation efforts by maintaining accurate records and contributing to the preparation of grant report budgets.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Ability
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, or a related field.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in financial management in a nonprofit setting.
- Strong knowledge of budgeting, contract management, and grant administration.
- Proficiency in financial analysis, forecasting, and reporting.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and other financial software.
- Experience with fiscal sponsor relationships is a plus.
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence, delivering against timelines, and navigating the needs of several stakeholders, even in the face of obstacles.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- High ethical standards and a commitment to transparency and accountability.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and CV/resume to.
SEJ is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding, and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at
Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees (and their families). Employees are able to enroll in 401k retirement plan and are eligible for a 3% automatic contribution and up to a 3% employer match on 401k contributions. Employees are also eligible for pre-tax transportation benefits. Employees will receive 160 hours of vacation time, 80 hours of health leave, up to 2 days of casual leave, and 20 hours of volunteer leave annually. Employees will also receive 13 paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Employees are eligible for 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave after 90 days of employment.